How do you cut acrylic so it has smooth edges?

mojo;302683 wrote: Once you see how well it works with a router, you won't use anything else - table saws are very crude in comparison...

Bah, CNC trumps your router ;)

Lol! True, but I do believe that's a router that the CNC is controlling... :)

Well, Jin, if the sheet of acrylic is 30x20 or less I use the handy LASER BEAM. I think it can cut up to half inch, maybe even more with several passes. I know it cuts 1/4 like butter as I made my sump baffles with it.

We have one at my school, and it makes super smooth edges since it uses a magic beam of energy. All it takes is a simple cad drawing to make it work, and my spring break is next week... I will probably already be working on one acrylic project, so I can probably cut you some stuff if it will work. It is great for cutting out multiples of the same thing since that is such a tedious pain to do by hand.

Does laser beam trump CNC?

I say yes, because who gets to say I built "X" with a freakin laser beam.

"Cool, how'd you do that???"

"Oh that old thing? I use a freakin laser beam, MAN."

Sweet, how can I turn down a freakin' laser beam. I'll give you a ring tomorrow. Thanks!

THe only thing is that it cant bevel edges like a CNC/router can. It strictly cuts on 2 planes, X and Y.

If you call me, do it before 12 or after 7. I have a project presentation tomorrow... thus my late night....

It'll be after 7 then. G'luck on your presentation. Get off ARC and get snappin' or I'll have mojo ban you.

THat might help me more than you can imagine. I built a really sweet model today. I'd love to glaze it, but on to CADing the floorplans again. I wanted to do it by hand but I get clumsy with ink...

Derek_S;302702 wrote: Does laser beam trump CNC?

I say yes, because who gets to say I built "X" with a freakin laser beam.

"Cool, how'd you do that???"

"Oh that old thing? I use a freakin laser beam, MAN."

hahaha. Lasers are cool, but they don't trump the cnc (which Mojo is right about...it IS a giant router!)

Derek_S;302707 wrote: THe only thing is that it cant bevel edges like a CNC/router can. It strictly cuts on 2 planes, X and Y.

If you call me, do it before 12 or after 7. I have a project presentation tomorrow... thus my late night....

And this would be one reason it doesn't trump the cnc!

Second reason: the laser cauterizes the acrylic as it cuts. This seals the 'pores' in the acrylic making the glue joints weaker. You can go back and lightly sand the to-be glued edges and it will be fine.

dr_evil_laser.jpg
alt="" />

I know you told me that before, but doesnt the weldon melt the acrylic, anyways? I would think the lack of pores would actually create a stronger bond, as ther eis more surface area. I could maybe see that if you were caulking it.

But I know very little about acrylic, so just throwing that out there as an observation.

Jeff, that pic is actually my mental image everytime I talk about the LASER cutter.

Derek_S;302723 wrote: I know you told me that before, but doesnt the weldon melt the acrylic, anyways? I would think the lack of pores would actually create a stronger bond, as ther eis more surface area. I could maybe see that if you were caulking it.

But I know very little about acrylic, so just throwing that out there as an observation.

Jeff, that pic is actually my mental image everytime I talk about the LASER cutter.

Think of it as having a better grip on the "rough" surface, rather than a slick surface.

You'll just have to take my word on it! :)

Derek_S;302723 wrote: I would think the lack of pores would actually create a stronger bond, as ther eis more surface area.

Actually, the pores themselves provide the surface area, just like plastic that has been roughed up by sandpaper glues better - there's just more material to bond to.

Having said that - I didn't know that about laser cutting acrylic, though it's not something I run into every day... :)

Skriz;302736 wrote: Think of it as having a better grip on the "rough" surface, rather than a slick surface.

You'll just have to take my word on it! :)

ummmm.....

Is this one of those "that's what see said" thingies??

I know you are supposed to use a fine toothed blade and go slow... so it doesnt melt.. try that

derek, where is there a laser?? I don't leave the chem labs..

Back