How do you cut acrylic so it has smooth edges?

lame, im NEVER in there haha

I need to redo my sump, you'll be getting a PM when I need to cut some acryllic :)

FutureInterest;302517 wrote: I've cut a bunch of acrylic in the past with my circular saw or my table saw and even my dremel... but I either end up chipping the crap out of it or melting it. It's still usable and I use a bunch of weld-on 16 to make up for my cutting deficiencies. However, I finally ran into an application where I need to learn the art of cutting acrylic smoothly. I need 17 inch strips of acrylic that are 1.75 inches thick and I need them to look pro for once... Any suggestions?

Jin, go to Home Depot, they have a cutter. I just cuts some....:yay:

Fish Scales2;302590 wrote: And to get a crystal clear finish when you are done a torch will do wonders.

Only flame polish the glue joints you want to fail. The heat weakens the joint and you'll start getting hazing lines coming from the joint. Only hand polish glue joints.

DannyBradley;302807 wrote: Only flame polish the glue joints you want to fail. The heat weakens the joint and you'll start getting hazing lines coming from the joint. Only hand polish glue joints.

I was not suggesting that you flame the glue ends, flaming was just the next step to follow after completing the steps in the post before mine.

You can also buff the edges smooth or so I've heard. So as to not interfere with the glued edges by applying heat. It's nowhere near as fast but it works cuz i've seen the results, just never done it.

the home depot near my house won't cut glass or acryllic.. and it's the biggest one I've seen

Flame polishing can be done on the glued joints , but it has to be done in an annealing application where as the joint actually becomes stronger. A router bit or cnc with the spiral bits is by far the best way to cut acrylic. I have tried alot of different ways (minus the laser never did that ) to cut acrylic. My edge joiner does a good job after the table saw, but syill not as good as a router bit

Fish Scales2;302809 wrote: I was not suggesting that you flame the glue ends, flaming was just the next step to follow after completing the steps in the post before mine.

Just making sure. I'm sure you know that there are plenty of misconceptions in this hobby.

I have worked at a sign shop for about 8.5 years. I know alot of times if you turn your blade around, so the teeth are cutting the opposite way...It will give you a nice clean edge. NOTE: you have to cut it slow though...and careful cause it will want to pull you saw the direction you are running your acrylic.

Running saw blades backwards is extremely dangerous especially if the saw gaurds are not set up for it!!!!

When we cut it at the shop...It is on a panel saw. The saw is unable to move or jump out of your hands because of the roller system the saw slides on.

Back