how do you properly spray paint glass?

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
im working on a 5.5 gallon build and i have spray painted the back glass and part of one side with decent success but there are parts that the paint pulls away from the glass and forms puddles around the area it pulled away from. am i doing something wrong? when i painted i first taped off and covered the majority of the tank with news paper then i cleaned the exposed glass with alcohol and then wiped it down with a dry paper towel and painted. is there anything else i should have done?

i tried that over the course of 4 coats and it still did it so i scraped the paint off and tried again this time just spraying the crap out of that area. same result same spot.

Edit:
MorganAtlanta;931911 wrote: Use a roller

would it make a diffrence? the paint has no problem getting on that spot it just pulls away once its there. i would assume it would do the same weather its rolled or sprayed.

Make sure that spot is clean. There may be a light coat of oil or such on it right there.

Clean it with acetone to ensure that there isn't any type of residue on the glass. Also, if the glass is cold (like spray painting in the garage or outside when it's cold outside;), you will run into problems with proper adhesion and curing of the paint due to moisture buildup.

I would keep it somewhere climate controlled for a few hours, wipe it down if it has moisture on it, clean it with a little acetone (be careful of fumes), wipe it again with a lint free cloth such as an old tee-shirt, then paint it with a roller.

Edit: I overlooked that you used alcohol, which is fine too. I would try painting in a climate controlled area, just be careful about spray painting inside if you are adamant about the spray paint;).

ghbrewer;931927 wrote: I would try painting in a climate controlled area, just be careful about spray painting inside if you are adamant about the spray paint;).

tried that too. the tank stays inside and i only took it out for the 5 mins it took to spray the first time. and the second time i tried in the basement (i opened the door for ventilation when i was done) and still no joy. you think sanding the glass with 320 first then cleaning with alcohol then painting would help?

Edit: and its non tempered so it wont shatter if sanded.

I've done plenty of spray painting inside. I once did an 20x8" mural of Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon album cover across two walls. Just wrap a t-shirt around your head, or get a painters mask.

When we painted my brothers 120 the first time it bubbled and peeled. Second time used a different brand of paint and it did fine. Krylon fusion I think it's called

JDavid;931945 wrote: I've done plenty of spray painting inside. I once did an 20x8" mural of Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon album cover across two walls. Just wrap a t-shirt around your head, or get a painters mask.

When we painted my brothers 120 the first time it bubbled and peeled. Second time used a different brand of paint and it did fine. Krylon fusion I think it's called

Brand of paint makes a big difference. Krylon if the best. And is made for all typrs of surfaces

Krylon and acetone...use a lifting roll action and flip the cloth frequently. Sounds like something is on the glass, probably silicone. You may not see it, but it's there. Sanding would help or scraping with acetone and razor.

Humidity will kill you but if it is the same spot each time I would say that there is something on the glass. Would it be a spot that had a sticker on it when it was for sale?

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

no that spot didnt have a sticker on it but ill remove the paint and try again.

Just use vinyl. Most local sign shops carry it. A piece large enough for my 120 was $14.

Jonathan

I wanted the back of my tank to be black and used the "blackout" type of really dark window tint film that you get at Home Depot or Lowes. It was simple even on a big surface area for one person to do and looks great. Very easy to remove if I wish or if I ever sell the tank.

BlueSpot;932154 wrote: I wanted the back of my tank to be black and used the "blackout" type of really dark window tint film that you get at Home Depot or Lowes. It was simple even on a big surface area for one person to do and looks great. Very easy to remove if I wish or if I ever sell the tank.

+1000
I tinted my neighbor's tank with Limo tint from Wal-Mart. Plenty black enough. The only way light shown through was if you put a flashlight up to it.

I cut the sheet to size plus 1 inch and sprayed the glass with a water/vinegar mix. Placed it on the glass. Used a small squeegee to work out the bubbles. Did a final trim around the edges with a new razor.
It turned out fantastic.

Something ill keep in mind

Y-Not;932177 wrote: +1000
I tinted my neighbor's tank with Limo tint from Wal-Mart. Plenty black enough. The only way light shown through was if you put a flashlight up to it.

I cut the sheet to size plus 1 inch and sprayed the glass with a water/vinegar mix. Placed it on the glass. Used a small squeegee to work out the bubbles. Did a final trim around the edges with a new razor.
It turned out fantastic.

Jonathan;932124 wrote: Just use vinyl. Most local sign shops carry it. A piece large enough for my 120 was $14.

Jonathan

BlueSpot;932154 wrote: I wanted the back of my tank to be black and used the "blackout" type of really dark window tint film that you get at Home Depot or Lowes. It was simple even on a big surface area for one person to do and looks great. Very easy to remove if I wish or if I ever sell the tank.

Back