How hard is it to remove an overflow?

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I've got a standard Aqueon 125 with that I'm thinking of pulling one of the overflows out of. Has anyone tried it? How difficult was it? Any tricks to it?

MorganAtlanta;868118 wrote: I've got a standard Aqueon 125 with that I'm thinking of pulling one of the overflows out of. Has anyone tried it? How difficult was it? Any tricks to it?

Its simple. But why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I want the interior space. I'll have a sort of "bean animal" drain set up. In the remaining overflow, I'll have the main drain and the backup, then I'll drill the back and put in the "emergency" and return. The 125 is only 18 inches wide, which doesn't give much room for aquascaping when you loose 6" of that to the overflow.

Just make sure that if one of your drains gets clogged that the other one can handle all the flow. You will have a herbie over flow not a bean animal. I think it could work if done right.
Good luck.

I've got a bottle of Bourbon and a plasma cutter......let's get this party started!

I've got a herbie now, which is all you can do with the two holes in the Marineland overflows. I've got two of them, actually. I plan to add a third drain for the emergency, which (with a little extra plumbing) basically makes it into a bean animal. A 1" bulkhead with an elbow open just above the normal water level should do the trick. It doesn't really need to be inside the overflow to do its job. I'll tear out one of the overflows and cover the holes in the bottom, eliminating one of the herbies, leaving three holes for the bean animal setup.

It's either that, or sell the tank, buy an undrilled, and do the whole bean animal setup from scratch. Mods to the existing tank would be slightly logistically easier for me if they are practical.

Back