how hard would it be?

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
How hard would it be for me to put a sump on my tank?

the catch is i have an all glass tank its not drilled at all, it is already set up established got coral got fish all that stuff and i dont want to have to try and drill this thing?

I know nothing about putting a sump together or anything like that.....do they make a type of hang on overflow that i can just hang on the back of my tank that would allow me to run the plumbing and put a sump together?

I am really interested in trying to get a sump and get all these Hang On skimmer and filters off teh back of my tank.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

a>

i do appreciate that site it looks like stuff i need, but I have NO CLUE what i am even looking at, like where would i start? I need to find a way for my water to over flow into something that will go down into a sump and then the sump would have a pump in it that would pump it back up into the tank?

so what do i need to buy to get the water to overflow into?

ok so i need to buy an "overflow"

i get the plumping from the over flow part
i get the sump part (tank or rubbermaid container)
i get the pump part
i get the plumbing back to the tank part

but when the water gets back to the tank is there something i can buy that i can attach to the end of the pvc that will direct the water back into the tank and not just all over the place?

is there anywhere to buy this as a package or can i piece this together like at salt water city or anything like that?

you'll need:
a HOB overflow.
Plumbing (tube/pvc)
Return pump.
saltwater.

THat's pretty much it. Then you can decide what you put in the sump (heater, probes, skimmer, etc.)

THe return pump would need to be based on how high you will pump the water up (into the tank) and how much flow you wanted through the sump (doesn't need to be much).

Tubing you can get at HD pretty cheap. We all have pumps that can be used for a return, if you're looking for used pumps. Overflows can be found used, but are not too expensive
merchant.mvc

I'm sure any of the LFSs could help you, you don't have to drive all the way to sal (although he probably is nicer and can give you a better deal). I'll look for a picture for the into the tank piece, I cannot remember off hand what its called.

ok im about to post up in the WTB section if anyone has any of the stuff i would greatly appreciate it.

o ok cool stickx so that little piece just hangs on the tank and the little head i can use to direct water flow.

nice ok i understand.........now my question is i have a 29 gallon glass tank i was gonna use as the sump....would that work?

yea, if you just want to put the nasties (skimmer and such) under your tank. That would be fine

I have a few of the things you need for sale.

Lifereef overflow box
7" Filter sock w/ acrylic hanger
2 U tube returns like the one pictured
1 switching water current director (if you want)
1 hydor mounted to a U tube return.

All you would need is the actual sump, a return pump, and some flexible tubing.

If you're not dead-set against drilling your tank, it can be done without emptying it.

My husband drilled his 125g by just dropping the water level down to where he wanted the holes to be drilled, drilled the holes, put in the bulkheads, plumbed the drain tube and the return tube and refilled the tank.

It's not as difficult as you might think and it's great not to have all the cumbersome h.o.b. stuff cluttering up the tank.

Linda Lee;193002 wrote: If you're not dead-set against drilling your tank, it can be done without emptying it.

My husband drilled his 125g by just dropping the water level down to where he wanted the holes to be drilled, drilled the holes, put in the bulkheads, plumbed the drain tube and the return tube and refilled the tank.

It's not as difficult as you might think and it's great not to have all the cumbersome h.o.b. stuff cluttering up the tank.

did he not have to worry about glass shards getting in the tank? I'm curious about doing this to my 55...

stickx911;193005 wrote: did he not have to worry about glass shards getting in the tank? I'm curious about doing this to my 55...

I'll ask him. He actually did it while I wasn't home (probably so I wouldn't be so stressed out) and I didn't actually watch him do it.

Or you could ask chrisjet ... he's the one who talked Loren into drilling it with the water in it and I was like "nooooooooooooo way!" ... But it was fine.

thanks guys, i have a 29 gallon glass aquarium empty i could use as a sump but dont i need like diff. "sections" in the sump? how would i go about seperating a 29 gallon aquarium into 3 diff. sections?

Back