How important is the acrylic shield with T5s?

10/4, it's never easy. I didn't know you had the fancy ATI unit! If it was me I would switch it because I experiment with different bulbs and their location in the fixture. Taking the fixture down to remove the shield would be a major PITA, this would far would far outweigh seeing a control that i never use...but thats me. Best of luck.

dball711;1014235 wrote: 10/4, it's never easy. I didn't know you had the fancy ATI unit! If it was me I would switch it because I experiment with different bulbs and their location in the fixture. Taking the fixture down to remove the shield would be a major PITA, this would far would far outweigh seeing a control that i never use...but thats me. Best of luck.

Yeah I might do that. I didn't actually purchase this; marine depot just sent me it and I called them after I got frustrated with the dim controls to tell them and they just told me to keep it. Thought why not

tonymission;1014237 wrote: Yeah I might do that. I didn't actually purchase this; marine depot just sent me it and I called them after I got frustrated with the dim controls to tell them and they just told me to keep it. Thought why not

Sweet!

Sn4k33y3z;1014233 wrote: "through the holes cut in the fixture housing, along the bulb channel and then out the side of the fixture". I'm not understanding how the acrylic/glass cover to access the bulbs is part of any part of the cooling system.

With the shield in place it creates a channel for the air to be routed from one end of the fixture to the other where the hot air exits the unit. With out the shield the air would not be routed along the bulb to cool it.

dball711;1014240 wrote: With the shield in place it creates a channel for the air to be routed from one end of the fixture to the other where the hot air exits the unit. With out the shield the air would not be routed along the bulb to cool it.

I can follow that as a roofer. Kinda like how ridge vents work. ;)

Hmm interesting. I can see the philosophy of what the lighting engineers were thinking with your comment. However, I'm not sure I'm in agreement with it LOL. That would suggest, that forced air (via fan) with the aid of a shield, is more effective with heat dissipation in this application. I would love to go myth busters style on this one.

By keeping the shield in place, all of the latent heat would still be atmospherically present in it's operating environment. Obliviously the goal is to remove as much heat from fixture as possible to prolong the life of the bulbs and ballast. I just cannot see a small PC fan outputting enough CFM's to be more effective with heat removal then simply removing the shield (which I don't wouldn't suggest) and allowing the heat to escape in an open atmosphere...

Tony are you open to product testing LOL.

Very much like that but pressurized. Pulls in cool air from the top and flows past the ballasts, then enters the tube area through holes at one end of the fixture (see picture). Then the air flows across the bulbs and exits at the other end.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1014253=59374-FullSizeRender.jpg
>
1014253=59374-FullSizeRender.jpg
class="gc-images" title="FullSizeRender.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Sn4k33y3z;1014251 wrote: Hmm interesting. I can see the philosophy of what the lighting engineers were thinking with your comment. However, I'm not sure I'm in agreement with it LOL. That would suggest, that forced air (via fan) with the aid of a shield, is more effective with heat dissipation in this application. I would love to go myth busters style on this one.

By keeping the shield in place, all of the latent heat would still be atmospherically present in it's operating environment. Obliviously the goal is to remove as much heat from fixture as possible to prolong the life of the bulbs and ballast. I just cannot see a small PC fan outputting enough CFM's to be more effective with heat removal then simply removing the shield (which I don't wouldn't suggest) and allowing the heat to escape in an open atmosphere...

Tony are you open to product testing LOL.

Great comment on Mythbusters but the way this thing works is like a turbine that blasts the heat out of the unit. You are welcome to stop by anytime to see it on action!

Sn4k33y3z;1014251 wrote: Tony are you open to product testing LOL.

No. If you could see how much of a disaster this room is right now. Got my hands full.

dball711;1014253 wrote: Very much like that but pressurized. Pulls in cool air from the top and flows past the ballasts, then enters the tube area through holes at one end of the fixture (see picture). Then the air flows across the bulbs and exits at the other end.

I completely understand the above design. Just to be clear, we are talking about the glass or acrylic shield on the very bottom of the fixture?

If so, hold your hand in front of your mouth closely and blow hot air out. The hand will represent the glass or acrylic shield and the air will represent the fan. What happens? The air is deflected off your hand bouncing back towards your mouth. Just like the design of this fixture.

I'm suggesting this fixture would operate at a cooler temperature without the shield in place.

dball711;1014257 wrote: Great comment on Mythbusters but the way this thing works is like a turbine that blasts the heat out of the unit. You are welcome to stop by anytime to see it on action!

First and foremost I would want to see the tank LOL. The heck with the lights.

Sn4k33y3z;1014267 wrote: I completely understand the above design. Just to be clear, we are talking about the glass or acrylic shield on the very bottom of the fixture?

If so, hold your hand in front of your mouth closely and blow hot air out. The hand will represent the glass or acrylic shield and the air will represent the fan. What happens? The air is deflected off your hand bouncing back towards your mouth. Just like the design of this fixture.

I'm suggesting this fixture would operate at a cooler temperature without the shield in place.

Ok. I see your point but imagine a drinking straw with hot air in it. Now blow on one end and watch the hot air exit the open end.

Forget the fixture and come see the tank!

dball711;1014275 wrote: Ok. I see your point but imagine a drinking straw with hot air in it. Now blow on one end and watch the hot air exit the open end.

Forget the fixture and come see the tank!

LOL where did the hot air appear from in the straw?????

I'm coming over.

You could trade me the light fixture for my old 6 bulb nova pro :-D that would solve your issue of having to hang the lights so high

mattgee87;1014347 wrote: You could trade me the light fixture for my old 6 bulb nova pro :-D that would solve your issue of having to hang the lights so high

I was trying to buy yours in that other thread before you even got it in the mail! Ha

Back