How in the heck do you catch cleaner shrimp?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I caught one by luck, by luring him into a net with silversides, but the rest witnessed the act and have caught on.

I have to get the other two out. What is the best way to catch them? I really dont want to tear all the rock out, so what are my options? They seem scared of me, so I cant really lure them onto my hands, and they are so quick, even if I could, I'd never snag them. I'm thinking I need some kind of trap. Any ideas?

Using traps at night with bait works well. I've got one you can borrow.

mine comes up to man hand and cleans it...put some mysis in a baster and let it out a very little at a time and hes there too

FutureInterest;161146 wrote: Using traps at night with bait works well. I've got one you can borrow.

Awesome, I may have to take you up on that. Where are you at in Roswell? I'm over towards that way pretty often.

I have tried the baster/hand/net thing in several combinations with no luck. I am too slow, and he is too fast. The problem is that they are very bold until they see the NET. Then they know what's up.

I'm east of Marine Fish, about 4 miles. Just let me know if you want to go that route and we can make arrangements through PM.

Use the inverted bottle method. Cut off the top of a plastic water bottle. Invert the top and put some food in the bottom. Set it on the bottom of the tank. In the morning it is likely the shrimp will be in there. Why are you getting rid of them? The reason I ask is that I am looking to buy a few and I live in Marietta.

You can use my bird wrasse. It'll probably take him a whole 30 seconds or so... ;)

What Fishwhisper said. I used this method to try and catch a mantis and caught my cleaner every night.

fishwhisperer;161189 wrote: Use the inverted bottle method. Cut off the top of a plastic water bottle. Invert the top and put some food in the bottom. Set it on the bottom of the tank. In the morning it is likely the shrimp will be in there. Why are you getting rid of them? The reason I ask is that I am looking to buy a few and I live in Marietta.

Great idea! I have seen these taps used for flies before.

I'd love to sell them to you, but they are already spoken for. I was supposed to trade blackwolf like a month ago but have had extreme difficulty catching them. If this works, I will let you know if he has decided to pass by now. BTW, Saltwater City sells them for like $20 I believe, which I think is a pretty good deal if you decide just to buy you some.

Mine just climb on my hand when I put it in the water? Ever try that?

Then I just lift them out.

Mine wont come to my hands. Too much abuse for pillaging my LPS. They know I am the angry tank god.

Well mine have developed a love/hate relationship with the baster. They know it is the cornucopia of brine and mysis, but also the bringer of sharp jabs of annoyment. I even feed those a-holes first, and they still will tear a LPS apart for kicks.

I catch shrimp and fish using one of those disposable tupperware containers. They're almost transparent, I attract the fish/shrimp to the top corner after the container is already in the tank in my other hand and scoop them up.

Back