how long before i can add stuff?

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
My tank has only been running for a few days so i know it's to soon.Is there a general rule as to when i can add some easy corals? Shrimp? Also is a feather duster difficult to keep? thanks

i would wait 2 weeks before you CUC, and then 2 weeks for fish and corals

well test water! add some not so expenisive fish that are hardy like clowns or chromis but let me know some more about your tank what you have in their (live sand, live rock ect. ect. and exactly how many days)

well if nitrates and all the others are clear you are good to go but get your water tested at any lfs usually it is free and then buy something while your at it that is if it checks out just tell them that you have just set it up and you want to know if it is safe for fish corals. they should know what to test for

CUC - clean up crews - snail, crabs, starfish etc. Do you make your water or buy it. IF so do you use a rodi water

If you add fish to cycle faster make sure you wanna keep them in there. You might not be able to catch them. I would stay away from damsels

Using tap water will cause you all kinds of problems but your tank is not ruined :) There are some horror stories out there from people who used tap water. I would strongly recommend using RO/DI water from now on. You might have some initial issues with algae but I think your tank will be fine if you make the switch now.

You might want to consider a few extra water changes over the next 6 weeks to try and get some "clean" water in there.

how big is your tank and what are you using for filtration and what kind of lights?

If you have tap water in your aquarium - immediatly go pour it out and never use tap water again

Kevin,
Need to make an investment in one of the good saltwater books. If you are using tap water, you have missed one of the basics. I would not entertain adding anything until you have cycled thru the ammonia and nitrites. The hobby is one that you must move slow and do like all the books say or you will drop a lot of money and wonder what happened. The first investment I made was in a good RO/DI unit to get good quality water. Many things to learn and the guys here will help you but read and read and read some more.

Joe

jhutto;55415 wrote: Kevin,
Need to make an investment in one of the good saltwater books. Many things to learn and the guys here will help you but read and read and read some more.

Joe

We bought this book and read it like a Bible.

511F8K19A2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg
alt="" />

Can probably pick up a used copy for a reasonable price. I think we paid $12.00 for ours @ Amazon. (New, it's $30+)

105-5877021-4440440

jhutto;55415 wrote: Kevin,
Need to make an investment in one of the good saltwater books. If you are using tap water, you have missed one of the basics. I would not entertain adding anything until you have cycled thru the ammonia and nitrites. The hobby is one that you must move slow and do like all the books say or you will drop a lot of money and wonder what happened. The first investment I made was in a good RO/DI unit to get good quality water. Many things to learn and the guys here will help you but read and read and read some more.

Joe

+1... It can't be said any better then this...

The only thing I would add is that anyone that is getting into this hobby needs to onderstand the #1 rule.. "Nothing can be rushed in this hobby, take your time, research what you are doing, and learn everything you can before you start and continue that as you go! Nothing good happens by rushing into stuff!"

dawgdude;55433 wrote:
You MUST start a tank with RO DI water. This is ultra pure and wont have any excess nutrients, phos, or silica in it. This will all lead to a HUGE algae bloom in a little while. You will need to start the tank over and put ro water in it unfortunatly.

Not to meanton copper in city watter. I know Lawrenceville, Alpharetta, Douglasville and Marietta have copper in their water. I know Lawrenceville's is .15ppm which is toxic to alot of fish in that amount!

One only needs to see the red residue in the tubs and toilets to know there is way too much copper running in the system. That said, I know people who actually use city water successfully... I don't recommend it however.

This thread isn't going to tell you everything you need to know when starting a saltwater aquarium. Not the least an reef aquarium. I bought over $300+ worth of books and read over 20 articles of JSTOR.

Do your research and come back with specific questions concerning a specific problem. Something you're asking cannot be answered in one post or even 5 pages of replys.

Everyone here may be right about something but they will tell you drastically different ways to keep fish and corals.
No body is wrong but it's just their way of doing things. It's how they got through the noob stage of the hobby.

I suggest you learn the basics from a objective perspecitve such as literatures and articles.

:) Good luck and happy reefing!!! When you're ready for SPS PM me! I'll get you some for free

Back