How many coral have you lost in your life?

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I ask this question because I never lost a invert in my tank until recently. I started to entertain thoughts of my reefing skills being inferior and want to cry. This thread is just to see whether everyone else had lost something, maybe make me feel that it's normal.

I've lost 3 colonies and 3 frags in past 2 months, 3 other ones i saved

You?

over my time is this hobby I have lost hundreds sounds bad i know but a few years ago I had a massive tank crash and lost over 160 at one time

I just recently lost my kenya tree. It was the size of a softball and now it has shrivled up to about a quater. I dont know why it died. Everything else is doing fine so far. Also have lost a couple frag of acro.

chris, is the purple one i gave you still alive?? I fragged that thing in my own tank and it RTN'd!!!

I've lost more fish than corals. I've lost a bird's nest.....not sure why...but that's it.

what is RTN'd mean?? yes there it is still alive and well. Not sure if it is encrusting yet ?

rapid tissue necrosis(spelling). Basically it means you SPS bleach quickly.

I lost a hammer and frogspawn due to blue-legged hermits and one stalk of xenia for no apparent reason.

Everything in my tank WAS off; Alk calcium and magnesium were very very off, and pH and salinity and temp is good. Lights got a 40% brighter too.

But after the massive die off from the inferior species, the strong will grow!

Well depends on how you define "lost"! If you are talking "died" then that's about 2-5. If you are talking "fallen behind the LR" then that number is quite higher! My worst loss was a Eagle Eye Zoo I got from Melissa. Dropped behind the LR and other than taking all the LR out of the tank it was "lost"!

Don't loose too many hard corals maybe 3 or 4, but I have difficulty keeping the softies around.

flyingarmy;53942 wrote: If you are talking "fallen behind the LR" then that number is quite higher! My worst loss was a Eagle Eye Zoo I got from Melissa. Dropped behind the LR and other than taking all the LR out of the tank it was "lost"!

I had that crap happen all the F'ing time. I dropped my $75 ricordia yuma behind 200lbs of rocks... But somehow it is still growing with the little bitty light it have, so sad.

lost only 3, to date (3 years and going). Lost a frogspawn that took out my leather and gorgoria. Happen overnight, so I didn't know till the next morning.

Well i've been in for 10+ years so I don't loose them often but for sure 17+. Less then 10 in the past couple years.

3 for me. Now if you had said Mushrooms and leathers, I would have needed a larger scale. I had a ten gallon FULL of mushrooms and the heater prob came out of the water so.. I'll let you guess what heppend next.

Tanner86;53885 wrote: I lost a hammer and frogspawn due to blue-legged hermits and one stalk of xenia for no apparent reason.

Yea I don't understand Xenia, I had a HUGE clump of it in my 20 gallon and it desinigrated over night? :eek:

ya i was going for a luck streak in my 12 gallon nano cube for about 6 months and then all 30+ stalks melted slowly but melted in about a month

oh and my sexy shrimp didn't help at all they decided to eat some i think they were thinking lets not let all of this go to waste

oh but i forgot to say that the tank got overheated a day before so it melted because they cooked

Back