How many coral have you lost in your life?

had 2 die in three years but 10-15 behind the rock!! the only 2 i lost were shrooms i had recovered from behind the rock and like a fool, stuck them at the top so they would "get more light". guess that proves the need for light acclimation.
oohhh, i did have the xenia fallout as well but i dont count that one, seems to be a common event.:yes:

I'm glad to see I am not the only one with the Xenia problem, Now I have two stalks of it growing on my MJ 1200 power cord but they dont grow, I think my water is too clean....

Well i read like 800 pages of reef books before i started a reef tank... I knew how expensive that crap is. Also i had the help of The Atlanta Reef Club!

Been in this hobby over 3 years....unless you have a 5 gallon tank and no corals..EVERYBODY LOOSES corals...Hell I must have lost 40 corals by now..Keep trying till it works..Sometimes its your fault other times you say WTF!!!

They are dead.

I expect I will loose corals in the future, thats the adventure...See if we can be coral farmers.

ouling;53966 wrote: I had that crap happen all the F'ing time. I dropped my $75 ricordia yuma behind 200lbs of rocks... But somehow it is still growing with the little bitty light it have, so sad.

okay, when ya'll are saying *dropped behind*, does that mean the frag gets dropped when you're initially placing it?

I'm new to collecting the frags (only have 4), but now I'm wondering if I should do something to prevent losing them this way. Maybe before placing a frag, put a small safety line (fishing line?) from the frag to a loop you could clip to the side of your tank (or loop onto your finger). Then you could work with the frag without worrying about losing it. After permanently placing the frag, snip the line?

Also, when you're fragging and putting these little guys on discs (or tiles), you could perhaps pre-drill your discs with a small pin-hole in the corner for tying a small line later when the frag is placed.

Might seem like a lot of trouble, but it would suck to lose a $75 ricordia.

Also... the line would be handy when acclimating a coral to the light. Lower the tethered frag to the bottom of the tank. Clip the line to the rim of the tank. Raise it every so often and reclip it. Then place the frag. Secure it. Clip the line.

hardly any now, lost some during an alk crash back in the day, mostly acros, though I saved alot of them by fragging before the stn got too bad.

Corigan;551164 wrote: hardly any now, lost some during an alk crash back in the day, mostly acros, though I saved alot of them by fragging before the stn got too bad.
Wow! Digging deep into the ARC vaults!:eek:
:D

MvM;551166 wrote: Wow! Digging deep into the ARC vaults!:eek:
No joke.. That's what I was thinking..

I have lost tons.. Mostly last year or so.. I was having huge temp swings.. No telling how much of Johns ORA Green B'nest I've killed.. Luckily that's past now..

MvM;551166 wrote: Wow! Digging deep into the ARC vaults!:eek:
LOL, I didn't even realize it was an old thread. I just saw it was up top, guess someone voted and it brought it up on the new posts list.. :D

where is the 100+ option? Hell I lost about 100 durring my moving crash alone......

Most of the corals I lost were from falling behind or between rocks and going unnoticed for a few days. I have only lost a couple due to lighting or water problems.

mysterybox;551559 wrote: I've lost more than my share.

Oh I agree as I've lost loads as well, possibly hundreds.

A few years back I fragged and gave away hundreds of corals at ARC meetings. At one point I said I was possibly even (loses vs frags given) :)

These days let's just say our loses should be rated as lessons learned.

Back