How noisy are your Sicce pumps?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I just set up my MSX a week or so ago and I love the skimming but the Sicce pups seem a little noisy. Kinda like teh sound an aquarium air pump makes, just louder. THis is from the pumps, not the air intake.

I mesh modded them myself so I wonder if maybe I need to re work it a little or if the noise is normal.

I love my sicce! Ive got a MSX160.....The pump will run noisy if you havent trimmed the mesh just right. how many layers are you using?

2 layers, one regular one flat back. What causes the noise? Imbalance?

corvettecris;224879 wrote: 2 layers, one regular one flat back. What causes the noise? Imbalance?

basically yes, I would use three layers first put the flat side down, then the rough side down and then last, the flat side down. I would use the smallest zip ties you can find(HD or lowes has tiny ones) zip the mesh down and make sure that the ties zipped on the front side and (the important part-) make sure that the ties are all facing the same direction and are snug and flat against the wheel. Trim the mat just a millimeter short around the edges, and make sure that its very even and balanced. If its not it will cause vibrations and can even lead to start up problems. If it is still doing it, take it out and trim it again..It can be a PIA but well worth it in my opinon. Also make sure that theplastic air intake nub that slides into the impellar housing is pushed in just far enough where its flat against the inside wall of the housing and not really protruding too far in there. Some people will even superglue this piece in just to stay in place. Does all this make sense?

The best thing to use is fishing line. A thicket awg. is best. I'll see what I used on mine. The zip ties are nice, but they add way too much weight. It's fine to use them if and only if you have a kill-a-watt to see exactly whats going on with the wattage. Another issue with zipties is if they are unbalanced, you can have rocking with the shaft, that obviously is no good. Then of course too badly cut mat is no good either. That adds offset of weight, and can scratch the inside of the pump.

I took both impellers out and trimmed them and it made a significant difference. I may try the fishing line as well.

I was surprised how much the mesh spread out since I first modded them. I had originaly trimmed them down to about 1/8 over teh wheel, but they had spread to nearly 1/4. SOunds so much better.

Ya know derek, as a fall back for this skimmer, MSX makes a needle wheel disc that will push about 3/4 what the mesh pushes and you never have to mess with them again, its just set it and forget it......but glad to hear that your problem was solved. THese skimmers are really fantastic! and I love em.

Back