How often do you replace your Metal Halides?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
When I moved into this tank about 18 months ago I added 2 Phoenix 175 W to supplement my Radion LEDs.
Recently it seems growth has slowed and it occurred to me it's probably time to replace the bulbs. All though quite a few things could be playing a factor (I've made several changes recently).

I run my MH 7 hours a day, is it time for new bulbs, (past time)?
Anyone have a recommendation as to where to get them for a fair price?

Thanks

I replace them every 9 months but I think it's ok to go a whole year. 18 months is too much and I think the spectrum changed after running that long.

Hey Rich!
So true but I had to mix it up.

It's crazy how fast time goes by!

I don't remember who I ordered these Phoenix from but do recall hearing I paid over paid.
Anyone have a trustworthy lighting source?
Thanks

I know CoralVue has their 175 watt bulbs discontinued. They are selling them for $32 each. I bought some 400 watts and have been happy with them. But all others I run are Radiums. Phoenix are totally gone I believe. Go with their 20k if you order from them. Phoenix 14k are bluer than most others. They work well for me.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php</a>

check this out
I changed mine out about very two years. that said I was running 3 400 watters over a 156 and was over driving them so even at 50 % they were more than enough. Color did shift some but not that much. the really dropped the first 4 months then leveled out. If you are just using them for supplementation then I say run them. The leds were not enough?

Seth The Wine Guy;1051235 wrote: I change mine like my underwear. Every six months wether they need to be or not.

you can just donate them to me when you replace them and I'll never have to buy another MH bulb again :up:

Cause there's a lot of brown stuff that builds up. (Algae)
Wear on bulbs happens at firing. I run dual light cycles. Six on, six off. So, that's a year's worth of use by typical use standards. I'll probably go longer since now one of my cycles is 100% LED and the other is 100% MH. I have enough lighting power to run either one exclusively so it affords me a lot of freedom.

I let the tank tell me when in all honesty. There's no defined timer I put on them. When I see unfamiliar algae growing on the glass or a change in my corals when all else has stayed constant, I change the bulbs and see an immediate improvement. Seems the bulbs help grow algae when the spectrum starts shifting too much.

Seth The Wine Guy;1051235 wrote: I change mine like my underwear. Every six months wether they need to be or not.
That would explain the color shift for the underwear anyway.:yuk:

Seth The Wine Guy;1051240 wrote: Cause there's a lot of brown stuff that builds up. (Algae)
Wear on bulbs happens at firing. I run dual light cycles. Six on, six off. So, that's a year's worth of use by typical use standards. I'll probably go longer since now one of my cycles is 100% LED and the other is 100% MH. I have enough lighting power to run either one exclusively so it affords me a lot of freedom.

I let the tank tell me when in all honesty. There's no defined timer I put on them. When I see unfamiliar algae growing on the glass or a change in my corals when all else has stayed constant, I change the bulbs and see an immediate improvement. Seems the bulbs help grow algae when the spectrum starts shifting too much.
That makes sense. That would be a lot more wear on the bulb. Oddly enough I never experienced the algae increase with the older bulb ,I always expected to see it because of everyone else experiences. I didn't run that clean of a system IMO but I never had a serious algae issue of course 10 Tangs aided in that I'm pretty sure.:yes:
You ready for a big wine cellar yet?

I need that big wine cellar. I've maxed out my French door units and have cases just sitting on the ground. But, the room that would have been the wine cellar is being repurposed for my new sump room. The old one is literally getting bulldozed for my wife's 20k gallon twv build she's doing over the winter. She's doing saltwater at least.

nickg;1051254 wrote: A 20k gallon what?

TWV usually stands for Total Water Volume when in regards to aquariums. 20k would be a beast of a system for sure! =)

Back