lighting questions. yes I know I have already asked a million...

And isn't the only way to make it dimmable is by changing the drivers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

They are cree leds... at least from my understaning... but as far as adding some whites... is it necessary for the corals to have the white light for growth? Or is it just for visuals? I love the all blue look of my tank. But if they need white I also don't mind adding in there. But I just want to know. I haven't spent a ton of money so if something doesn't pan out properly I can always just use them for some other project I have going. :) like accent lighting around the house... but that's not the point. The point is do corals need the white for growth or just visual appeal?

a>

You've spent quite a lot on equipment you've bought several times based on your posts.properly researching and getting the right equipment the first time would've saved you time and money. It may mean that it takes longer before you have water in the tank but the end result will be much better. And from my research, white light is for growth primarily and blue is for the colors..

Ok cool. Yes I've spent a lot on equipment. However nothing was wasted. I have a 40 gallon freshwater planted tank, a 60 gallon fowlr. Tank, a 55 gallon bare bottom tank. A 33 gallon cycling tub, a 130 gallon display with 3 10 gallon tanks plumbed together for the sump. Plus a 55 gallon tropical tank, a 75 gallon South American cichlid tank, and another 150 reef that I'm cycling. Also have several tanks I'm building for friends and clients. So even though I have bought a ton of stuff somewhere I have been able to use it. Or filter it out to others that are in need. I believe in pay it forward so I pretty much give things away if I can't find somewhere to put them to use. But it doesn't bother me to spend money on things if I know it will work for something I have or for someone I know. I do have very adequate metal halide lights on the tank now. I am just looking to upgrade to led. But I really like diy. Not because it cheaper because by the time I'm done I might as well have bought the real thing. But because I like to know how everything works. So I buy what I need and then put it together. In the process I learn basically how it's made. Then in the future I have the knowledge and experience to pass on to someone else. Does that make sense? No I'm not made of money by any means. But I love to play and tinker with stuff. So why not play and tinker with things that will ultimately make my aquarium better?

Back to the original questions though. Does it matter what spectrum the leds are? I found 6500k. But I can't seem to find any higher. Any thoughts on this?

We've told you the answers multiple times in your lighting posts and you've even been given a link of tons of info that would answer your question if you clicked on it. I hope you are building freshwater tanks for folks because if you're on here asking questions then I hope you aren't charging them.

If you are only seeing 6500k then you are looking at a freshwater/plant light.

indecloudzua;948549 wrote: We've told you the answers multiple times in your lighting posts and you've even been given a link of tons of info that would answer your question if you clicked on it. I hope you are building freshwater tanks for folks because if you're on here asking questions then I hope you aren't charging them.

If you are only seeing 6500k then you are looking at a freshwater/plant light.

first I would like to clarify with you one thing. I don't think insulting someone by saying coming here to ask questions is wrong. Which is essentially what you just said. I have in fact clicked the link a and read the material as well as read other materials spoke with many people and gathered tons of information. I have had very explosive growth with my corals I have now. After going to see some places in Atlanta one day and speaking with many people everyone has their own opinions on what matters and what is needed. By coming on here I am asking questions because I want to see why other people think. Yes I do take into account what people think and what people say. But what you seem to fail to realize is that everyone is different and everyone has their own formulas that work. This is not an exact science. It never will be. That's why there is a plethora of different options out there. I have had many successes with building my own equipment. So how can someone condemn me for building something that works and is effective. But without asking questions there is now growth or learning. The point of a forum is to ask questions share experience and meet other people and help others. Not to criticize and put people down. May even you should not respond to threads if you can't say things nicely without putting someone down. It doesn't matter if I ask the same questions a million times. This is not the place to pass judgment on that. I asked this question because I More purchasing something and then I am going to rebuild it. According to several people I have talked to the blue spectrum pen et rates the light the deepest and the white is only for visual appeal. So instead of just believing that and running with it. I asked. Now is that inappropriate? Is it wrong that I ask a question? Or am I misconstrued as to what the point of a forum is? Because I could have just as easily spent my 30 dollars on some book but I stead a a purchased a membership to a club I thought was in the market to help the overall hobby of fiahkeeping. Not to bash people for what they do or questions they ask. That comment you made was rude and in appropriate. But thanks anyways. I guess I shouldn't be asking questions and I should go with what I believe. Good hye.

No. I've said that it had been answered in your previous threads and had two links to outside sources on the matter that you chose not to read.those links would've clarified your questions and preconceptions.take people's advice and click on links they provide in response to your questions instead of not clicking on the link and asking the same question again.the forum is for asking questions but I know that this topic has been covered in your other posts on the topic..im not saying you can't make things diy.you can but you also need to take your time with the setup and not rush into things like it seems you have with your posts of problems and having to tear down your tank several times. I'm just suggesting that it will be much easier if you take your time and plan out your build. I've been planning my next upgrade for over three months and still have months of planning to go before I set it up. The comment was not rude or inappropriate. If you're charging people money and telling them you know about saltwater when you clearly don't is rude and inappropriate. I'm a senior marine biology student and I wouldn't attempt to make money by setting up reef tanks..

I have "torn down" my tank once. Sofar it has been one time. So where this idea of a bunch of times comes from I have no clue. I waited 3 months to add anything living to my tank.... I planned my build for 3 years.... so please tell me how your 3 months of planning overthrows all of that? I have been doing research on saltwater for 10 years. And because I ask a question I am suddenly not reading links? I read them. And I concluded by getting metal halide lamps of the Germans variety. Now I'm interested in upgrading to led lights. Which if your familiar with have different wattages than metal halides and pull less energy therefore reducing the cost of my light bill. So I do believe that If you can't say something nice. Stay off my threads. Your opinion is not welcomed nor wanted. Go do your marine biology. Have fun with it. But understand that your degree is in Marine biology. Not business, nor ethics, nor phycology. So don't think you can give advice on someone's business practices when you have not been in their shoes. But thanks for assuming I am stupid.

Lol..I told you led's would be cheaper and to consider your electric bill then..If you planned your build for 3yrs and have these problems then I'd question your research process..How did that damsel work out when everyone told you that it's not a good choice for the first fish?oh..and I've also got a bachelor's in operations mgt so I've got the business side of stuff covered and also took ethics and a business ethics classes so what you're doing certainly isn't ethical. I don't see any of our sponsors asking simple questions. But good luck to ya..look forward to more posts

Let's argue about blue lights vs white lights

See the problem here is that all these dummies think that white light grows coral!!! lol, it's true that a full spectrum is needed (white LEDs) but the most readily useable photosynthetic radiation is blue light (400-500 nm)

Haha anyway declanisadog posted a good article from my friends at advanced aquarist (who just to save some time for the argument personally assured me that I am correct)

Here's the thing though, if you already have full spectrum lights you can certainly add more blue.

If you're leaving the metal halide then the only reason to add light is because you would want to change the color for visual appeal, and almost everyone aside from me adds a little blue to supplement halide bulbs, usually blue LEDs!

I am moving the halides to another tank and just running the leds on my reef. And from what I understand blue is where the photosynthesis occurs. That's why I got all blue. But all I need to know was if I needed white too or if it was just visual appeal. And yes the article helped. Even if didn't understand most of it. Lol

You definitely need some radiation outside of the "blue" range for everything to thrive.

Most of the *usable* photosynthetic radiation is blue light. Most not all.

I do not agree with "white for growth blue for color"

Heavy on the blues, for the growth and overall health of the coral, but definitely aim for a wider spectrum than a single targeted spectrum from a blue LED.

Ok this can do that. Thank you. Now one more thing. If 20 k is good because of the blue. Does it matter if I run 6500 k since I already have blue?

Back