lighting questions. yes I know I have already asked a million...

kstyle13;948669 wrote: Ok this can do that. Thank you. Now one more thing. If 20 k is good because of the blue. Does it matter if I run 6500 k since I already have blue?

I would go with a more diverse range of LEDs if I was to go that route. If I had to pick only two LEDs to make my whole fixture it would be 50% blue in the 460-470 nm wavelength and 50% white 12,000k color temperature.

Will 6500k work for whites? I don't want to say no because I'm not sure but it is certainly not ideal

reeferman;948686 wrote: reds and greens are useless as far as coral growth is concerned,theyre just for aesthetics.use a warm white led and it will encompass those spectrums

What's considered a "warm white"? 10,000k?

Oh so I'm way off. I had a fixture that was 50% 12k and 50% 470-490 nm (royal blue? I think so).

It worked pretty well. That's what I was basing my previous post off of

So your white channel is 3000-6500k but you use T5's as well, correct?

JDavid;948687 wrote: What's considered a "warm white"? 10,000k?
10k is still a cool white

Lots of fixtures are trending towards whites in the 4-6k range. Who knows though....I'm sure there will be a new trend next year.

my 2 t5 bulbs were old so i unplugged them months ago.when i was using them,they were just 2 pure actinic 36" bulbs over a 48" tank.
my cool whites and warm whites are on different channels.i use the warm whites as high noons that ramp up to peak at reef midday

my leds were premium binned so theres no wandering of spectrum,like a range from 4-6k.they have a very tight spectrum and very uniform color.lots of factory units use cheaper bins with lots of variance in spectrum and color.

Gotcha. LED lighting is not my forte

I would have stuck with the halides :)

To each his own :)

I would run kessils (good for a rimless tank with the gooseneck & not too much spill over). I have one and corals do very well under it. DIY is probably the best but I don't have the patience to complete a project like that

Back