How strong are 4 2x4s?

lockeoak

Market
Reaction score
I've received a free used 50G tank (48") and stand (score!) but I have a question about the load limit of the stand. It's not a homebuild but doesn't seem to be of terribly high quality. The base is composed of a rectangle of 2x4s on the floor, broad side down, with a single 24" long 2x4 on each corner holding up the top of the stand, which is another open 2x4 rectangle. It has side panels, back panels and mid-length posts but they are not load bearing (I've removed the back panel and post to put in a sump). Looking closely it looks like the middle of the 48" spans sag very very slightly, in the middle the tank bottom doesn't contact the span but is raised by 1-2mm. Would anyone out there hesitate to put a 50G tank on such a stand? I'm going without a canopy, which should save some weight (lights will hang from the ceiling). It has been used as a freshwater tank before, so theoretically the stand is sound but before I pour a lot of water and money into it I'd like a second(third, etc...) opinion.

Two by fours are alot stronger than you would thing but add a few if you are worried about it its always better safe than sorry lol no one wants a bunch of water and glass in the floor good luck

I picked up a 65g stand from a member and was shocked that it was simple 1/4" plywood construction w/o much else. The homemade stand I'm using now is made of 2x4's, but they are doubled on all for legs, and are very sturdy for my 65 gallon. Can you double up the 2x4's on the legs? I'd consider doing that...

You're safe my a long shot. A clear 2x4 can hold around 4,000 lbs before failure. Your 50G tank + water will weigh ~500lbs, or 125lbs each. You've got a few hundred or thousand gallons to go before that stand fails.

For reference, my 240 gallon stand is built using a 2x4 frame of eight vertical 2x4's...

Great, I'll stop worrying. The only thing that made me a bit concerned was when I was able to take the shelf and panels off with a hammer and screwdriver because they were only held on with long staples (the main structure is nailed). Thanks everyone.

Well, it probably wouldn't hurt to hold the structure together using some screws.... :) I'd add some, just in case...

yeah the big question here isnt how much a 2x4 can hold (which is a lot)....its how well put together the stand is obviously. I dont care how many 2x4's you have in your stand if you put it together with duck tape it's coming down fast....

when I bought my used 135 the stand was really wobbly so I reinforced with a some longer screws and some more 2x4's just for fun.....that thing probably could of have held a 757 when i was done with it....

If i were you i'd go a head and at the very least make sure that the 2x4's are sercurely in place.....add some longer wood screws.....if it doesnt feel wobbly or like the 2x4's are loose you're more than goood to go as Mojo said...

good luck.

Is the top rectangle actually resting on top of the 2X4"s? If it is it should be plenty strong enough but if the top rectangle is held on to the four 2X4"s with screws then it is not the 2X4"s that are holding the weight it is the shear strength of the screws. In that case I'd add at least a 2X4 to each corne so it is really holding the weight. I hope that makes sense.

Budsreef;102262 wrote: Is the top rectangle actually resting on top of the 2X4"s? If it is it should be plenty strong enough but if the top rectangle is held on to the four 2X4"s with screws then it is not the 2X4"s that are holding the weight it is the shear strength of the screws. In that case I'd add at least a 2X4 to each corne so it is really holding the weight. I hope that makes sense.

Good point. Checked it, the top of the frame is resting on the 2x4s, not held up by screws (screws are driven vertically).

Back