HR 669 Banning All Non Native Animals

mysterybox;319522 wrote: That sounds like it's the right thing to do, albeit it will effect capitolism. Hummm...

So on that premise, that it will 'affect capitalism' it's OK?

It does also say that all domestic breeding will cease... so there goes all the Stateside aquaculture too. With that, will go a LOT of research too.

It's not just my own livelihood, the ripple effect will be enormous.

Jenn

wbrown;319582 wrote: who has a GA reps' contact info?

a>

Guys read the actual bill, where does it say anything about domestic breeding or ant specific species for that matter, the bill is being put in place to classify all non-native spcies.

I haven't had time to read the whole bill but the PIJAC summary said that all domestic breeding will cease. I have to make some time to read the whole thing.

Jenn

it was introduced by a democrat from guam. nobody is going to pay any attention to it lol.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf">http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf</a>

it's 23 pages of rhetoric, interspersed with a bunch of references to other publications..
This is going to take awhile to decipher.

KR561;319604 wrote: yet you had the time to write an essay on this thread....

Hardly an essay, and it took me a while to do that - between customers.

Jenn

I read the entire bill last night, it is real serious, they will basically ban all non-native species, which will include, breeding, import and sale, it would cripple the pet industry, close down all the shops, breeders, farms and yes you guys could not trade frags legally. Just the impact on the tropical fish farmers in Florida would be devestating. It's insane, write your congressman. Ken

after a once over of the bill, this is some serious bad juju about to happen..
scary stuff, they want to assess FEES to get something on the approved list? I call serious BS on this one.
The default stance is to <u>unapprove</u></em> everything, then collect monies in fees to get species approved.

do you really think it will be that hard to get fish and corals if it became illegal??...marijuana,crack,and meth are illegal...yet you can make one or two calls and im sure you could find either...same thing will be for corals and fish,no more trips to the LFS but to the alley behind waffle house to get your corals and fish =)

Thanks, fishfarm.

And it's not JUST the fish biz... affects everything from hamsters to reptiles to parrots.

Heck - it would likely affect things like Alpacas and other farm animals that aren't indigenous to the US, but are farmed or ranched here. Ostriches, Emus, which are farmed for meat and leather...

Talk about an economy killer...

And yes, I know that living things just aren't about commerce, but the reality is, trade in living things (and I am not certain but it could concern plants too - I have to check on that)... makes up an enormous part of our economy. It would affect the textile industry, the food industry... not just the pet industry.

And yes, it would likely give birth to a black market in all of these things.. is that the way we really want to go?

Jenn

im going to buy a house and dedicate it to growing corals and breeding fish...dont worry everyone,i got you on the low low...Lol

Are you guys reading something different than I am? I have seen no specific species even mentioned. What I read is that they evaluate each individual species. If all non-native species will be illegal than why are they creating an "approved list"
Last year I caught 2 Australian saltwater crocodiles here in Ga. Whats odder is that they both swam right up to me. A rhino viper was also found in a persons yard in Winder just last week.
I am not for more government control but I do feel that a bill similar to this (maybe not so broad) should be implemented for the protection of the public and our ecosystems.

Fish Scales2;319624 wrote: Are you guys reading something different than I am? I have seen no specific species even mentioned. What I read is that they evaluate each individual species. If all non-native species will be illegal than why are they creating an "approved list"
Last year I caught 2 Australian saltwater crocodiles here in Ga. Whats odder is that they both swam right up to me. A rhino viper was also found in a persons yard in Winder just last week.
I am not for more government control but I do feel that a bill similar to this (maybe not so broad) should be implemented for the protection of the public and our ecosystems.

what did you do with the crocs?

I am going to say this as nice as I can. This is not pointed at anyone, so no bashing...and no hate mail.

Please read the entire bill before bashing it! No congressman is going to listen to someone complain, unless they have at least read the problem and have a solution....neither should we! Constructive criticism goes a long way! :)

The congressman from Guam has a lot more power than you think. Has anyone here ever been to Guam? I am sure someone else has....ever listen to the birds (other than the frigates)? No singing....thanks to the brown tree snake. The congressman from Guam will have more attention than you think!

I agree with this bill: " H.R. 669 would prevent the introduction and establishment of NONNATIVE wildlife species that NEGATIVELY impact the economy, environment, or other animal species' or human health."

We need to stop puppy mills, destroying coral reef, fish, and bird populations. I would like for my children and their grandchildren to see how beautiful corals can be, how exotic mandarin colors are, the mouth brooding banggai cardinals, etc... WE are destroying the populations of these species every day by not doing something. The ocean has become our dumping ground.

It is nice to see a lion fish while diving, just not in N.C.!! I don't care to see a snakehead in Georgia either!

Fish Scales2;319624 wrote:
It already exists.
http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/species.shtml">http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/species.shtml</a>

The biggest point I feel you may have overlooked is on page 17, SEC.8.FEES,
and SEC.6 on page 14..
The tone of this bill is to stop trade first, then charge fees to have a species approved using private funding.
Soon a $4 Chromis will cost $100 if this passes in it's current form.

Back