Hydor Koralia Recall

My 2 problems with a CL setup are:

I'd have to drill my 60 cube which is not replaceable, to my knowledge, without going acrylic or custom glass. Last thing I want to do is screw this tank up. This is also basically the "big killer" for a CL for me.

In order to get the 1700 gph I can get with two flow pumps at 13 watts of electricity, I'd have to get a pump that would use 140 watts or so (Mag 18 is 1800gph). At 8 cents a kilowatt-hour, that will end up being around $90 extra per year to run.

2 Tunze 6060 (3200 gph) vs. Mag 36 (3600 gph) and the gap goes up to over $250/year.

I like CL setups. They're really cool and they look nice and clean. Less maintenance. But you'll take a beating on the cost over time and no matter what kind of spray bars and such you attach, the flow won't be as gentle over a wide area as the Tunze/Hydor/Seio versions.

George;29762 wrote: My 2 problems with a CL setup are:

I'd have to drill my 60 cube which is not replaceable, to my knowledge, without going acrylic or custom glass. Last thing I want to do is screw this tank up. This is also basically the "big killer" for a CL for me.

imo, you can run your feed over the top of the tank, no need to drill, just use a tee/ w screw cap to feed it initially... :)

Big D;29746 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">http://samsreef.com/content/view/18/2/">Link </a><--</span>[/QUOTE]
This article does make for a compelling argument. His break-even point on cost is 5.4 years out (not bad at all).

Does anyone know if there's a pump with comparable efficiency in the 1800-2000 gph range? The rest of the Sequence pumps don't come close to a Dart's efficiency.

You don't have to drill to use a closed loop. You just have to prime the system. A closed loop is more juice, but it will be a while before I come out behind on the deal. I would need multiple powerheads to get the flow distributed like a closed loop can do. I will have 6 outlets on locline pointing to various areas of the tank which will eliminate virtually all dead spots. They even make some real nice rotating heads for closed loop exits that distribute flow left right and up and down. Plus the locline allows me to drop flow in the tank wherever I want not just where I have glass to attach the powerhead to and is VERY stealthy.

Once you move into 3500gph the Dart is the only way to go as it generates that at about half what the mag puts out for $210 new. Another 100 or so in locline and PVC creates a really nice setup for about half what a good Tunze setup would be. So in 3+ years I might be behind on the deal, but still worth it to me.

I was thinking about this last night and realized I have no clue how to test for a current leak.

Explanation anyone?

I used a volt meter and it went all over the place until I removed the bad pump. Once that was gone, I didn't get any voltage reading in my tank.

Rob

rhomer;30212 wrote: I used a volt meter and it went all over the place until I removed the bad pump. Once that was gone, I didn't get any voltage reading in my tank.

Rob
Where do you put the probes? Just at either end? Anywhere?

I just put then in the tank. Make sure that if you have a grounding probe and your trying to measure stray voltaget that you remove the probe first.

Rob

My PH probe was a good test, but a volt meter would be better. As rhomer said anywhere will do as voltage is running through the tank. I am considering rigging a permenant voltage monitor on the ground wire just to see what is actually going on in there.

kh971;29661 wrote: Fosters and Smith are doing the swap for 4's if you prefer, is what I read on RC.

I just called Drs Foster and Smith about this and they said they hadn't heard of any recall.

Can you point me to this thread or has anyone heard from Drs Foster and Smith about this?

George;30266 wrote: I just called Drs Foster and Smith about this and they said they hadn't heard of any recall.

Can you point me to this thread or has anyone heard from Drs Foster and Smith about this?

I called F&S too, and the person had to ask her supervisor for the info. He said that Hydor wants to speak to the customer directly, and gave me the following phone number: 1-866-493-6787.

The man I spoke to at that phone number said that all you have to do is mail the powerhead to them giving them your name, address, and a note that you would like it replaced by warrantee. He said that they're just replacing the motors (so you don't need to send the magnetic mount with it), and he said that you can just mail one at a time if you wish.

As far as I can tell, they will give you the mailing address over the phone without probing you with many questions.

Hope this helps,
David

Holy shock-me, Batman.

I know I've had nicks and cuts on my hands and worked in my tank before with this pump, but tonight I stuck my hand in the sump and got a slight tingle in a paper cut. Figured it was the salt water maybe. I stuck it in the display tank which happens to put it less than 1' from the Hydor.

ZAP! My finger was numb for a few seconds. That's one hell of a leak. Now I have to find something to stir my tank while that pump gets replaced. "Only" have 620 gph in a 25 right now.

Zap! Ouch! Just an additional reason why I dont like powerheads in the tank. They look unsightly and can leak current. I really like my Closed Loop system =====> Dart pump + Oceans Motions 4 Way + Afternoon playing with PVC = trouble free system with excellent flow. Anything in the saltwater that plugs in to the wall is potentially dangerous...

I saw that my two koralia's did not have a grounding plug on the cord, I think the tunze nano's are the same way?

I do like the tunze streams (6060, 80, 100, etc.) though for efficient, cheap (low wattage) circulation and many, many years of useage to be had from them. I just can't use more than one in my small(ish) anenome tank.

For those who haven't called Hydor yet, the address for returning pumps is:

Hydor USA
4147 Northgate Blvd
Suite 6
Sacramento, CA 95834

Include a note with your mailing address and that you'd like the same model replacement.

Back