Hydor Korlia pumps almost killed me

I don't have GFCI outlets, but I do have everything in my tank plugged into a 3000watt UPS with GFCI on it =)

Well my GFIC outlet broke because of the amount of power being drawn from that plug, but i guess i can go get one.

Any standard interruptible power supply (UPS) should have GFCI protection built-in, and will almost certainly be able to handle at least as much if not more amps than your standard 115v wiring can supply.

maybe it just got worn out, but i know there was no electric leak, and the thing keeps jumping off.

ouling;36567 wrote: why would you do anything to circumvent the chance of premature death? And take away the rush that is found in keeping a fish tank?

LMAO

It's alright, ouling.
You can still have palytoxin and getting bumrushed by lionfish for reef thrills.

Dakota;39909 wrote: LMAO

It's alright, ouling.
You can still have palytoxin and getting bumrushed by lionfish for reef thrills.

Or stick your hands in a carpet anemone.

If you're after that final thrill, you could always poke a
a>.

wbholwell;37019 wrote: I think it's the transformer that generates most of the heat (necessary to lower the voltage.) But if the motor (or other device) is designed to run on 115 V, then there's no need for one.
Depends on how the circuit is "layed out" or designed. Many times the transformer is considered part of the rectifier circuit and rectifier diodes do get very hot. Usually they burn out when a resistor in the line goes. If you map the circuit down to every part, the individual rectifier doesn't generate as much heat as the transformer but the resitors run in line with the diode which are necessary to run the rectifier often produce considerable combinded heat. Just depends on the application and how the circuit is layed out. A good example is you can usually rest your hand on a transformer for a short period and it will be warm to hot. When a rectifier diode burns out it will often seer flesh.

All that said, most people I know who go through the trouble of building a schematic label the rectifier diode and the transformer as one circuit known as either the rectifer or the transformer.

i just installed a ground fault. I guess my life is now officially safe.

Back