I need some expert skimmer advice

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I could use some of the experts opinions on upgrading to a larger skimmer.

My stats / needs
200 net gallons
Skimmer in sump area is 14.5 x. 13 max (no limit on hight)
Heavy bio load
I wont be upgrading in the future, if anything Ill take a 30 gallon frag tank off of the system

I am currently running a SCA-302.

Money is always an issue so the upgrade needs to be reasonable and I have no problem with proven copies or used like the Jaebo line up. I really appreciate your opinions.

$300 or lower budget, I'd check out the RO NWB200:
a>

NM, looked over your footprint area. That is a tight area. Probably going to have to look for a space saver/internal pump skimmer.

Thanks for the reply Grant! By the way the Bi - Color Frogspawn is amazing! Thankyou!

Thats about the max price range Im at. But, its footprint is just a little outside my space available without modifying my sump. Would I be better off with the internal needle wheel pump design?

ghbrewer;976919 wrote: $300 or lower budget, I'd check out the RO NWB200:
QUOTE]

I am no expert by any means, but I have been diving through the forums and asking a lot of people about skimmers recently. It seems the reef octopus skimmers are by far the most popular and effective budget friendly skimmers.

I have a RO SS skimmer I'm not using that would be perfect for you, but it would probably be a bit over $300

Hi Tony which version is it?

Thanks,

Brett

tonymission;976932 wrote: I have a RO SS skimmer I'm not using that would be perfect for you, but it would probably be a bit over $300

976955=55690-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407851122.887470.jpg
>
976955=55690-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407851122.887470.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407851122.887470.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

SSS 3000 int

Eshopps makes great skimmers too, this one looks like it might meet your needs as well:
a>

I've read some good reviews on the Bubble Magus. The SCA you have was built as a copy to that design. The deal Grant found above is a great deal IMO even though I'm a RO guy and love their skimmers....even I'd be tempted.

Yeah, I have heard from multiple people that the Eshopps skimmers are extremely effective. I ran one for a while and the build quality, quietness, and design was amazing. The only issue I ran into with mine at the time was I had something in my water that made it go crazy. Pure Reef runs and sells these skimmers, and they just rave about the amount of gunk that they pull.

Brett - I run eshopps skimmers and they have always done great by me. I ran an s-150 on my 60G and it would pull some nasty stuff. With my new set up I run an S-300. It is huge but I like it so far.

oldedb;977093 wrote: Brett - I run eshopps skimmers and they have always done great by me. I ran an s-150 on my 60G and it would pull some nasty stuff. With my new set up I run an S-300. It is huge but I like it so far.

What's your TWV on your new setup?
Water height in sump?

oldedb;977096 wrote: Around 190 gallons and I run the water height at 9"

My total net water volume is 200 gallons. And I have my current skimmer pn a riser at a water depth if 7".

ghbrewer;977094 wrote: What's your TWV on your new setup?
Water height in sump?

My total net water volume is 200 gallons. And I have my current skimmer pn a riser at a water depth if 7".

Back