New Member - getting back into the waters. Lots of questions!

Oh yeah, if you look at my CAD drawing after the movable baffle there is a shelf that is labeled media chamber. That shelf has holes in it for water to flow through. That is where you can place bags of media...IE carbon, GFO, etc.

Welcome back to the hobby.

The only things I have add are. RODI you should shoot for zero TDS. Did the one you by come with any DI filters chambers? That will get the water from the RO down to zero.
The pump you listed earlier is an older model. This one is quieter and has more adjustment and uses less power.

Reactions: bzb
Welcome back to the hobby.

The only things I have add are. RODI you should shoot for zero TDS. Did the one you by come with any DI filters chambers? That will get the water from the RO down to zero.
The pump you listed earlier is an older model. This one is quieter and has more adjustment and uses less power.

It does indeed have DI chambers. Might just be the cheap crap one I got, or it could just be the meter. Or maybe I didn't wait long enough to flush out the RO system before filling my container. I made another 7 gallons and it's testing at 1-2 ppm.

Appreciate the heads up on the pump! Luckily I can return!

Was going to copy another member's stand pipe design, but realized today that a corner overflow isn't going to allow that to work! So, instead, my standpipe is going to go from 1" at the bulkhead to 1.25", and capped with a Maggie Muffler:

So this forum has no edit capabilities? I'm keeping a Google doc with my spending, but would be nice to update the main post.

I did go ahead and order that baffle kit, should be here next week. New return pump ordered, excited about that. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Reef Breeders Photon 48 since I'm not building a hood for this go-round. I've got a bunch of rock in a circulating tub and some sand waiting for me to wash, but will hold off on all that until my sump is ready, so probably a couple more weeks.

Stand progress: doors are almost finished. I finished out the trim and did my first couple coats of paint. It was so hot and breezy today, the paint dried rapidly enough for me to see how it's going to look in its new home.

IMG_2989.jpg

I know, I know, the window. But the wifey hates it in other spots, so I'm going to have to make due. We have those new high tech windows with the tint on them, so it honestly doesn't heat up too much in this room. She's agreed to leaving the blinds closed for the most part, and it is filtered light already due to the tree in front of the window.

The back glass is already painted black, so I was thinking of doing a second layer of white paint on the back to reflect the light. Thoughts?

So this forum has no edit capabilities? I'm keeping a Google doc with my spending, but would be nice to update the main post.

I did go ahead and order that baffle kit, should be here next week. New return pump ordered, excited about that. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Reef Breeders Photon 48 since I'm not building a hood for this go-round. I've got a bunch of rock in a circulating tub and some sand waiting for me to wash, but will hold off on all that until my sump is ready, so probably a couple more weeks.

Stand progress: doors are almost finished. I finished out the trim and did my first couple coats of paint. It was so hot and breezy today, the paint dried rapidly enough for me to see how it's going to look in its new home.

View attachment 9875

I know, I know, the window. But the wifey hates it in other spots, so I'm going to have to make due. We have those new high tech windows with the tint on them, so it honestly doesn't heat up too much in this room. She's agreed to leaving the blinds closed for the most part, and it is filtered light already due to the tree in front of the window.

The back glass is already painted black, so I was thinking of doing a second layer of white paint on the back to reflect the light. Thoughts?
Congrats looks like everything is starting up well. I think the window will be fine if you keep the blinds closed, but you can always get some blackout curtains to help if you want. The Reefbreeders Photon is awesome. I've heard great things!

I'm also a little worried about your RODI, seems like it might cause more problems if your TDS isn't 0 by now. Try running more water through it (around 30 gallons) and seeing if that helps. If not check to see if all the tubing is done right.

Theres also been some awesome improvement in quick tank startup, so I'd recommend getting some bottled bacteria to get that tank up super fast. The ones Id recommend are Fritz Turbo Start, Dr Tims One and Only, and Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7.

Best of luck!

Congrats looks like everything is starting up well. I think the window will be fine if you keep the blinds closed, but you can always get some blackout curtains to help if you want. The Reefbreeders Photon is awesome. I've heard great things!

I'm also a little worried about your RODI, seems like it might cause more problems if your TDS isn't 0 by now. Try running more water through it (around 30 gallons) and seeing if that helps. If not check to see if all the tubing is done right.

Theres also been some awesome improvement in quick tank startup, so I'd recommend getting some bottled bacteria to get that tank up super fast. The ones Id recommend are Fritz Turbo Start, Dr Tims One and Only, and Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input! I *knew* there had to be some new updates on the cycle :) I was planning on the standard cycle, but would love to learn more about those bottles!

As far as the RO unit, I’ll probably upgrade to a better unit. For now, 2-5 TDS isn’t concerning me too much, considering some folks still fill with tap water (which mine measures at 40-50)!

Thanks for the input! I *knew* there had to be some new updates on the cycle :) I was planning on the standard cycle, but would love to learn more about those bottles!

As far as the RO unit, I’ll probably upgrade to a better unit. For now, 2-5 TDS isn’t concerning me too much, considering some folks still fill with tap water (which mine measures at 40-50)!
Ya man, the bacteria is awesome. They all work very well, but I think there was a test done on Reef2Reef and showed Fritz worked best.

It isn't a huge deal, but you might see some extra algae growth because of it.

Thanks! I'm a glutton for punishment, so I spent a couple hours yesterday in that heat (well, in the shade) washing sand. Because sand is not dirt. I guess.

Going to pull the rocks from their cooking bath today to do some test aquascaping and maybe go ahead and drill some for the rods, at least at the base.

Fritz Industries pioneered the industry segment for proving bacterial cultures to use in nitrification. They are a big supplier to municipal & industrial waste water treatment. Their aquarium/aquatics products line is just one small part of their overall business.

I’ve used Fritz Zyme #9 for years and cycled tanks in about 1 week using a small amount of pure ammonia (ammonium hydroxide) as the nitrogen source. You can also use ammonium chloride, which doesn’t change pH, & it’s available from Dr. Tim’s with instructions.

Fritz also makes Turbo Start which allows immediate addition of fish. Just make sure your LFS has fresh product available, otherwise its best to order this product online with overnight shipping.

Here’s a link to their marine aquarium products-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really appreciate the info! It's piqued my curiosity for certain, but I'm leaning towards being conservative with the cycle before adding fish or coral. I think I'll give the bacteria a try and add some CUC after a week or so.

The baffle kit for the sump should arrive today. I still need to finish the doors, get all the plumbing installed, and of course, wait for the silicone to dry in the sump. Speaking of which, the 100% silicone from Home Depot (that does NOT have anything about mold protection) should be OK with the sump, right?

Really appreciate the info! It's piqued my curiosity for certain, but I'm leaning towards being conservative with the cycle before adding fish or coral. I think I'll give the bacteria a try and add some CUC after a week or so.

The baffle kit for the sump should arrive today. I still need to finish the doors, get all the plumbing installed, and of course, wait for the silicone to dry in the sump. Speaking of which, the 100% silicone from Home Depot (that does NOT have anything about mold protection) should be OK with the sump, right?
Yeah look for Silicone 1.

They recently changed the tube so it's a little more confusing. The lifetime warranty does not mean it has additives. Like zap said look for silicone 1 in the top left or right

Attachments

• IMG_20190819_121635.jpg
    IMG_20190819_121635.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: bzb
Back