I Think I found the predator in my tank

washowi

Market
Reaction score
All you snail guru's out there. I believe this is a Cone Snail? Isn't it? And if I remember my Discovery Channel Documentaries correctly, they love FISH!!!

Shoot a harpoon out, right?

Anyway

I thought is was some SOFT snail....then I touched it with the spoon and it cover peeled all the way back!!!! Like something out of the movie Aliens!!

Then it proceeded to reveal the beautiful shell....then I took it out!!!!

What do ya think? Killer? I lost 2 of the Bannerfish I just got the other day..No Bodies, nothing..VANISHED into thin air...

Think this guy did it?

TW

fish078.jpg
alt="" />

fish087.jpg
alt="" />

fish088.jpg
alt="" />

fish099.jpg
alt="" />

fish104.jpg
alt="" />

fish107.jpg
alt="" />

Looks like a Money Cowrie (Cypraea moneta). It is herbivore, good for the tank.

Good....Been looking for Cone Shells on line...Looks like its not.....Still a BIZARRE snail...

Ya some sort of cowrie for sure...

Maybe your banner fish got sucked into the 300 gal sump of yours and you will find them when the are 12" big! ;)

yeah, thats a cowry. good thing too, cone sails arent just predtors, they're all deadly to humans. you can, and likely will, die if one "shoots" you.

I guess i was wishing for one...cause I have had TOO MANY fish deaths that have no bodies.....nothing at all....

I can't remember the name of those snails but I bought about three from Capp bay and haven't had a problem. Herbivores for sure.

jmaneyapanda;40901 wrote: yeah, thats a cowry. good thing too, cone sails arent just predtors, they're all deadly to humans. you can, and likely will, die if one "shoots" you.

There are some cone shells that are very deadly to humans, but they are the rare exception. Most are not, and there are dozens and dozens of varieties. They all have a needle like barb that comes out of the end of the spiral. The deadly ones have a unuque triangular pattern on their shell, and are known to have enough venom to kill a human in as little as under thirty minutes. Still, I would advise always picking one up from the back (or leaving it alone).

Cowry shells are completely different and very cool, and most are good in an aquarium, although some need a special diet, or eat some of our corals. Money cowries are great - I have had a money cowry for several years. Just when I think he is gone, he shows up again.

I actually got a cowry that looked exactly like that as a hitchhiker on CappBay rock I got. It scared the crap out of me when it split to show its shell. I thought I had some monster. It is a cool little creature though. Like SShindell said, you will think he is gone for sure then he will show up randomly. Good little algae eaters.

It sure scared the crap out of me....what the hell is that covering the shell and why does that do that?

it is just the mantle. Ever wonder why cowries are so smooth? It is because the snail engulfs the calcium shell when it is out.

If you ever have a Fish Only Tank you should get a Tiger Cowrie they are larger examples of the Monie Cowrie. And man do they rid a tank of Algae.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

wow...these thing are great..wonder why nobody ever talks about them here? I am going to start looking for these guys..I want more..

I picked up a money cowrie just like yours for $4 at CBA a couple of months ago. Very cool snail, but they can disappear for a while and then just show up again.

Mark

Back