Ich.... whats the proper way...

tonytran509

Reaction score
So yea... ich... that seems like what i have now. Its currently on my yellow tang... so whats the correct way to fight this?

Thank you in advance

Pretty much all tanks have ich in them and tang are the most susceptible to coming down with it. There are a few different options to treat the fish themselves but they all involve removing the fish from the tank and treating if with copper based medication in a separate system. When I used to have tangs, I never went this route and instead just offered "support" while they got over it by adding garlic and something else to their food. In most cases it will go away and can almost be treated as a bad cold.

Edit: I just went a dug around in my fish stuff and the 3 additives I used for my tangs when they got ich were Garlic Guard and Metroplex (both from Seachem) and Selcon. I'd soak the pellets in it and that's what I'd feed along with different types of dried seaweed.

Last edited:
Pretty much all tanks have ich in them and tang are the most susceptible to coming down with it. There are a few different options to treat the fish themselves but they all involve removing the fish from the tank and treating if with copper based medication in a separate system. When I used to have tangs, I never went this route and instead just offered "support" while they got over it by adding garlic and something else to their food. In most cases it will go away and can almost be treated as a bad cold.

Edit: I just went a dug around in my fish stuff and the 3 additives I used for my tangs when they got ich were Garlic Guard and Metroplex (both from Seachem) and Selcon. I'd soak the pellets in it and that's what I'd feed along with different types of dried seaweed.

What kind of pellets are you feeding. Ive been only been feeding mysis shrimp.

I recommend adding UV to your system if you don’t already have it. Then heavy feeding with garlic.

Focus and metro soaked in to food for 20 minutes, then feed the food. Use quality frozen food during treatment. Honestly uv won't do anything for ich, you wild need one bigger than you can afford. Ich is present in everyone's tank, trust me, it only gets through to stressed out fish.

Focus and metro soaked in to food for 20 minutes, then feed the food. Use quality frozen food during treatment. Honestly uv won't do anything for ich, you wild need one bigger than you can afford. Ich is present in everyone's tank, trust me, it only gets through to stressed out fish.

Whats considered a quality frozen food? I have those cubed mysis shrimp ones

Are you positive it’s ich, and not velvet? Typically, velvet is a whole bunch of small dots, versus just one or two popping up being ich. I had a velvet outbreak that everyone thought was ich at first glance, because it attacked my tangs first.

Regardless, food definitely needs to be diversified. I have similar livestock to you, and do a shot glass and fill it about halfway with the following:

About a teaspoon of frozen PE mysis
One small frozen scallop, chopped fine
One small mussel, chopped fine
One cube of frozen Emerald Entree
5-6 drops of Selcon
5-6 drops of Kent Garlic

Let it thaw and mix it up, put it into a 10mL feeding syringe. I feed twice a day, about 2 mL total per day. Lasts 4-5 days in the fridge. I don't worry about rinsing, as I want the nitrate (the skimmer probably takes care of most of it, anyway).

I also feed a pinch of pellets (I have a few different Hikari varieties) every couple days and a small ~2x3" sheet of nori weekly. I have blackworm cubes that I split in half and stick one on the glass once a week, as well. My friends eat well.

Are you positive it’s ich, and not velvet? Typically, velvet is a whole bunch of small dots, versus just one or two popping up being ich. I had a velvet outbreak that everyone thought was ich at first glance, because it attacked my tangs first.

Regardless, food definitely needs to be diversified. I have similar livestock to you, and do a shot glass and fill it about halfway with the following:

About a teaspoon of frozen PE mysis
One small frozen scallop, chopped fine
One small mussel, chopped fine
One cube of frozen Emerald Entree
5-6 drops of Selcon
5-6 drops of Kent Garlic

Let it thaw and mix it up, put it into a 10mL feeding syringe. I feed twice a day, about 2 mL total per day. Lasts 4-5 days in the fridge. I don't worry about rinsing, as I want the nitrate (the skimmer probably takes care of most of it, anyway).

I also feed a pinch of pellets (I have a few different Hikari varieties) every couple days and a small ~2x3" sheet of nori weekly. I have blackworm cubes that I split in half and stick one on the glass once a week, as well. My friends eat well.

Wait they eatting better than me lol

Ugh, I hate to scare you, but I think that's velvet.

I'd recommend moving quickly and setting up a 10G quarantine tank and treat with copper.

Here's my saga:

So sorry about this, love yellow tangs.

It’s explained that if you can count the dots on the fish and it looks like salt dropped on it, then it’s Ich. If you can’t count the dots and it looks more like it’s been dusted with powder, it’s Velvet. Pictures look like ich in one and Velvet in another but looks closer like Velvet, unfortunately.

You definitely want to get it in a QT and use QT for all future fish.

Personally, I would feed a one scoop each mix of Focus, Kanaplex and Metroplex as soon as possible and hope for the best. I don't think trying to set up a small, emergency QT set up will help you and probably only kill the fish. If they are still eating, you have a chance. Dump each onto a cube of unthawed mysis and then once it's thawed mix it up and let it sit for 20 mins then feed. I've had good luck with this and will treat a variety of issues. As mentioned, it won't get ride of the ich but it could provide them with the boost they need to "kick it" and then it will only pop up every now and then. As someone else mentioned, the best way to prevent is to quarantine but that isn't always practical.

Back