ID: Elegance Coral Pest??

bwilliby

Supporting
Reaction score
I posted this on RC because I know there is a guy named "elegancecoral" on there, but I haven't heard any response yet. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? It even has a freaky mean "face" on its back!

I ordered a small Aussie Elegance recently and it has never really opened up like I thought it should and it has steadily looked worse and worse. I kept trying to move it to different places to get the lighting and flow right, but last night I was looking at it closely and noticed what looked like bright orange legs hidden within its soft tissue folds. I kept looking and they were definitely moving and looked crablike. I thought that couldn't be healthy for the elegance, so I took it out tonight and used some tweezers to extract the "crab". Its body shape actually looks more like a tick. In fact my 9 year old son, who is my little biologist, started googling "sea tick", haha. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Hopefully I didn't damage too much of the coral's tissue when I was getting the crab out and it can recover!

10314462_10205190800388359_2683274835640146674_n.jpg

Well I had time to do a little google surfing during lunch and I believe it is a gall crab. Glad it's out! Hopefully the elegance will recover!

Back