ID Please. Small Starfish?

hellfire

Market
Reaction score
downsized_0102091517a.jpg
alt="" />

Its right in the middle of the picture, white with black stripe through it. Is it bad? I've heard of smaller starfish eating SPS, I don't want to have that issue.

Tyler

untitled-4.jpg
alt="" />

untitled2.jpg
alt="" />

There they are. I apologize for the pictures. I don't have my camera with me, just cell phone.

Tyler

Asterina Starfish some time a zoa predator if you can pull out the rocks and kill them just to be safe

I have never seen one of my starfish eat any corals. But there are others that would differ. I would say I have about 50 in my 180.

I heard they hurt sps, not zoas, but I could be mistaken. I have a bunch in my tank, they split regularly, and I have not had an issue with my zoas.

Yeah they have not hurt my zoa collection but zoaid.com list them as a predator

Mockery;266277 wrote: Yeah they have not hurt my zoa collection but zoaid.com list them as a predator

Only the blue ones are coral predators. White ones are perfectly safe and no need to kill them, unless you own Harlequin shrimps, then they will eat them for you. :)

tim8111;266278 wrote: Only the blue ones are coral predators. White ones are perfectly safe and no need to kill them, unless you own Harlequin shrimps, then they will eat them for you. :)
Well crud i've got just about every color of the rainbow! like no joke, blues, whites, reds, tans looks like i might need to invest in a Harlequin shrimp!

Mockery;266280 wrote: Well crud i've got just about every color of the rainbow! like no joke, blues, whites, reds, tans looks like i might need to invest in a Harlequin shrimp!

I have never seen a red one, so I can comment on their reef-safe or not. I might try to look that up later.

Thanks,
Tim

I caught a white one eating the polyps of my Galaxia coral. Everytime I see one it gets trashed now...

We have some that are white with purple/green stripes,and I have never seen them on any of our corals.Them reproduce pretty quick too!!!

I can tell you first hand that if they are the gray / blue like colored ones they will kill Zoanthids / Palys rather quickly. I lost some expensive PPE's to these a while back.

Back