I'm at the Beach...

rbredding

Market
Reaction score
Is there anything here that can go into my (established 30Gal) tank to help it?

I know the issues with contamination so close to shore, but anything that's "dead" can it be treated and put into an established tank?

I've also got a 90gal that will be coming online in the next couple weeks, can I use anything to help the new tank cycle?

what are my options?

I wouldn't. many people do it without using stuff from the beach, so why risk the contamination?

Besides, is it illegal to collect stuff (like sand) from the beach? Either way, I just wouldn't think it would be beneficial, unless you could get live rock, but I am almost 100% positive that woudl be illegal.

If you're looking for just a souvenir, pick up an empty shell or two. I have no idea if it's legal, but you likely won't be picked up for it. Normally I wouldn't condone something like that, but given that everyone does it....

I'll let y'all know if I find anything really cool.... (then again, maybe I WONT.. LOL)

If you are at the beach in Jacksonville you can get alot of good quality cigarette butts out of the sand. Even a few GLASS bottles. That place has gone down hill.

If you're in PC go get yourself a fishing license and go snorkeling at the jetties. You can get tangs, angels, fiji devils, assorted gobies and blennies. JK but I did meet a guy down there that does it.

IDK man, if you go to the FWC website it lists size and bag limits for our type fish with a recreational license. The commercial license I'm sure costs around 50g's but along with that probably comes significantly larger bag limits. OK let me check this again in case I've made an @$$ out of myself.

OK here's the page with the regs. It is titled Recreational Harvest of Marine Life (Aquarium) Species. Saltwater recreational license required. In my mind that tells me if I have a license I can catch them. Good luck with that though cuz' I tried last time I was down there. You think catching the little buggers in your tank is hard? I had every kid on the beach with a net that day in pursuit of $5.00

a>

Yes the regs. clearly state that, along with other types of invertebrates. I am referring to fish and invertebrates as to what the regs say. A lot of the areas in the Keys are a National Marine Sanctuary so capturing anything is prohibited. The OP hasn't even said where he is.

So I can catch a Tang on a hook, take it home and eat it.. but I've got to pay if I want to catch it and try to keep it alive..

yup... sounds like government..

In Hilton Head, it's $500 for taking a sand dollar off the beach. A very poor exchange rate, in my opinion.

When I was at St George Island (FL), I collected mangrove pods that washed up onshore and now I have a little mangrove with roots and leaves.

With a saltwater fishing license (as noted above), I've collected narisius (sp?) and cerith snails. And if you're in The Keys you can also get blue leg hermits and astreas, but do all of this legitimately.

You sure don't want to be caught by a Fish and Wildlife Officer if you're doing this illegally.

Also, don't bring home any sand dollars because they generally have a very poor survival rate.

Rbredding;392108 wrote: So I can catch a Tang on a hook, take it home and eat it.. but I've got to pay if I want to catch it and try to keep it alive..

yup... sounds like government..
You have to obtain a saltwater fishing license to catch any saltwater fish in florida whether you eat it, keep it, kiss it or throw it back.

I got a bunch of hermit crab shells last time. The small conical ones that look a bit like cerith shells. I soaked them in bleach for a few days, then boiled them, then let them sit in RO for a few days. I dumped them in the tank behind rocks so my crabs would have some choices and hopefully not kill each other. They took to the shells immediately and began switching around. Some had cool colors (yellow/orange) instead of grey. Now they're all purple from coraline.

LoL.. Sounds like my tank.. Looks like small parts of the rock are moving around but its just snails and crabs..

actually it is legal to collect fish with a license
There are even regs for what you can collect.
I have brought back sand dollars about quarter size in the past and some blennies that have done fine
The trick is quarantine like you should with any fish you get

I'll be at Jekyll Island in May for a few days with the family. Is there any reef related stuff around there? I saw that they have a sea turtle preseve that my daughter would love to see. I think someone said that the water is cold there and not good for snorkeling or anything like that. It'll be a good time anyway.

not to sure im going to panama in a month or so...if your on the beach and see seaweed then all you have to do is pick it up and you have tons of neat reef fish in your hand i plan to get some and keep them in my 210 yes i know there from the ocean and i know the risks but they will go to a qt tank.....also i can catch baby black tip sharks while im there.....its awsome

Back