Install of new sump and skimmer w/ pics

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Well, instaled the MSX 300 and the new laser cut 40 gal breeder today. Here are the pics:

The old setup:

SANY7667.jpg
>
th_SANY7667.jpg
alt="" /></a>

HEre is the 40 gal with my laser cut baffles. Sooo cool.

As you can see in the first pic there is a drain chamber (near the center bottom, then a skimmer one, small fuge, and then return. The water kinda runs in a counter-clockwise fashion. This is modeled after some experiences with the first sump. So far it is working well to eliminate microbubbles, and the skimmer seems to not be releasing too many into the column either.

DSC_0004.jpg
>
th_DSC_0004.jpg
alt="" /></a>

DSC_0001-1.jpg
>
th_DSC_0001-1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

DSC_0002-1.jpg
>
th_DSC_0002-1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

DSC_0003.jpg
>
th_DSC_0003.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Here is the old one removed, as well as the centerbrace. I used an auto jack on a speaker as just a little insurance and to take the load of teh brace.

DSC_0005.jpg
>
th_DSC_0005.jpg
alt="" /></a>

DSC_0006.jpg
>
th_DSC_0006.jpg
alt="" /></a>

And here it is reinstalled. Already working hard, creating an impressive foam head.

DSC_0008.jpg
>
th_DSC_0008.jpg
alt="" /></a>

DSC_0009.jpg
>
th_DSC_0009.jpg
alt="" /></a>

DSC_0010.jpg
>
th_DSC_0010.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Looks good but I am not sure that skimmer is big enough.:lol2:

Nice skimmer :up: are your running the pin wheels or mesh? If mesh are you having any start up issues?

Joe

dude I run the msx 160 as of recently and Im blown away with the results, these skimmers rock.

I am running mesh, and yes, there are startup issues. They start really easily if I blow on the air hoses. I modded them myself so maybe I didnt do a top notch job.

Any yes, my school has a laser, so I CAD drew them and lasered tehm out. I was like a kid watching it cut.

corvettecris;222615 wrote: I am running mesh, and yes, there are startup issues. They start really easily if I blow on the air hoses. I modded them myself so maybe I didnt do a top notch job.

Any yes, my school has a laser, so I CAD drew them and lasered tehm out. I was like a kid watching it cut.

wow, i guess overkill is an understatement. How much to carve my name in the moon?

Nice setup man, do you have more pics or a thread with pics? I have a OCT 160 with the italian pump. I'm running the needle wheel now. I put in the mesh whell and had a start up issue but i trimmed the mesh a little around the edges and it worked fine.

Very nice Derrick. Tank looks awsome. Looks like you have alot of nice equipment.

Very nice sump. Kickass skimmer... lookatallthebubbles! It's like you filled it with milk. :)

jmaneyapanda;222638 wrote: wow, i guess overkill is an understatement. How much to carve my name in the moon?

Well, it cant reach the moon, but I can cut 24x32 sheets. If you even need anything precision cut, i might be able to hook it up.

JAustin;222666 wrote: Nice setup man, do you have more pics or a thread with pics? I have a OCT 160 with the italian pump. I'm running the needle wheel now. I put in the mesh whell and had a start up issue but i trimmed the mesh a little around the edges and it worked fine.

I dont really have a build thread, other than this: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16873">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16873</a>
and a pics thread:
[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19031">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19031</a>

[QUOTE=][B]WILLIAM1;222707 wrote:[/B] Man that looks great I like the Reactor setup you got going on.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you look at the first pic, and them the last one, you'll see the reactor has been moved. After seeing Lee's tank, I realized that the calc reactor can be run off of just a 1/4 hose, as it does not require a large amount of flow. SO, I drilled 2 small holes in the wall, and the calc reactor and CO2 tank are all in the closet now. Makes a whole lot more room! I also put the reactor in a kitty litter box so if I get a small leak it wont immediatly hit the floor.

Thanks guys for the comments. It has taken a lot of hard work but hopefully it continues to take off. I'm hoping the bigger skimmer improves the color of my sps...

By the way John, all the corals I got from you are doing awesome. THe bonsai seems to be a really fast grower, and even the cali tort is basing out well. THe only one that is not doing much surprisingly is the leng sy. I think it may need to be moved up in the tank a bit as it is about in the lower middle part.

An Jin, the undata is growing well too. I am about to move it to a rock as it is reaching the limit of the frag plug.

corvettecris;222757 wrote: Well, it cant reach the moon, but I can cut 24x32 sheets. If you even need anything precision cut, i might be able to hook it up.

Ok, how much to carve my name in Raj's face?

My full name, too.

BTW, sorry for the hijack. Looks good. Is the ponape still kickin? Mine is making a SLOW recovery.

If you'll remove his face and give it to me, just give me a cad drawing of what you want on there. And its done..

Actually mine seems to be doing really well. It seems to have grown a lot to me, but I didnt take a pic of it initially. It is branching off a lot.

That looks freakin' awesome! That is just sic. I need you to by and fix my mess! WOW!

one good thing, you could always sell your setup to the GA Aquarium when they are done! They might be in a need for an upgrade!

corvettecris;222773 wrote: If you'll remove his face and give it to me, just give me a cad drawing of what you want on there. And its done..

No dice. I want it done from the Grassy Knoll.

BTW, I have a bunch of this moving pad padding, if you want it for you soundproffing testing. I will be towrads your neck of the woods later today.

looking good man....dang that skimmer is huge! I need something like that!

Back