Insump return pumps -- Fluval/Laguna

tonymission

Market
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on in-sump return pumps that have a threaded output connector and can handle 160g (two tanks no rock), roughly 50g in sump and a manifold.

Was leaning towards one of those Laguna 1500 with a "BK stand" but then read the fluval is better build quality. Can it pass solids (auto feeder in sump?) like the Laguna? Anyone run these? What kind of GPH should I be looking for? Plumbing run to the second tank will be about 8'...

The fluval pump is a laguna with a different housing. Red dragon, fluval, & laguna all use the askoll block.

The laguna doesn't have threaded ends, so go with the fluval. If you find yourself around Lawrenceville soon, swing by and see a few in action.

Skriz;998207 wrote: The fluval pump is a laguna with a different housing. Red dragon, fluval, & laguna all use the askoll block.

The laguna doesn't have threaded ends, so go with the fluval. If you find yourself around Lawrenceville soon, swing by and see a few in action.

Thanks Raj. I decided to go with the Fluval SP6 with your feedback. Bit overkill but don't think the SP4 would be enough.

And I find myself in Lawrenceville a lot since I live there :) You guys have them at the shop or you living there now? Would love to stop by either anyway. Thanks again!

tonymission;998219 wrote: Thanks Raj. I decided to go with the Fluval SP6 with your feedback. Bit overkill but don't think the SP4 would be enough.

And I find myself in Lawrenceville a lot since I live there :) You guys have them at the shop or you living there now? Would love to stop by either anyway. Thanks again!

Ha! Didn't notice that!! Office is in l'ville; hit me up when you want to check out the shop.
Nothing for sale there, just to see.

Skriz;998226 wrote: Ha! Didn't notice that!! Office is in l'ville; hit me up when you want to check out the shop.

Nothing for sale there, just to see.

I'd love to see the shop sometime

Skriz;998285 wrote: Bring snacks :yes:

Donuts work? We'll be driving through there after dropping the puppy off at UGA for surgery in January. Would love to check the shop out.

RedStang;998311 wrote: Donuts work? We'll be driving through there after dropping the puppy off at UGA for surgery in January. Would love to check the shop out.

Heck yeah! :up:

RedStang;998311 wrote: Donuts work? We'll be driving through there after dropping the puppy off at UGA for surgery in January. Would love to check the shop out.

Raj and Tim prefer cash.

So no one else uses one of these pumps? Are all the larger systems typically external pumps?

I have an older reeflo barracuda I was going to use for water mixing station and AWC, but I'm just scared to depend on it all the time externally.

tonymission;998535 wrote: So no one else uses one of these pumps? Are all the larger systems typically external pumps?

I have an older reeflo barracuda I was going to use for water mixing station and AWC, but I'm just scared to depend on it all the time externally.

The barracuda doesn't like to be used intermittently (on and off sequences), so I wouldn't recommend using it in that application.

Skriz;998553 wrote: The barracuda doesn't like to be used intermittently (on and off sequences), so I wouldn't recommend using it in that application.

I figured I could have it just recirculating from bottom to top w/the salt mix as I usually run my mag pump constantly except in the summer. That said, I've had the pump just sitting there for about 6 months... everytime I get motivated to build that out, I get put off by the cost of 1-1.5" true union ball valves 10x for a little extra convenience.

Skriz;998207 wrote: The fluval pump is a laguna with a different housing. Red dragon, fluval, & laguna all use the askoll block.

I guess I'll find out in a couple days but I'm curious what the bottom of these pumps looks like. Is it just plastic or does it have any rubber feet of some sort? I guess it doesn't matter since they say these are pretty silent but it doesn't look like there's anything underneath...

Back