Insurance Question

spiderman097

Supporting
Reaction score
I have homeowner's insurance through progressive underwritten by homesite. I'm putting in a 180gallon onto the floor above a crawl space. I asked him very specifically if a leak springs up out of no where, unrelated to any maintenance will it cover the damage caused? He said it's up to the inspector on the cause, if it's due to the structure of the tank/seals, then it may not be covered.

Is this true? I need some insight, because it really is a fear of mine, and I need it covered. It's literally 180gallons of water that can spill everywhere. If someone has a policy that they know will cover random leaks, I'll switch my policy to that.

To be certain, why not just ask them for a specific rider to your policy that will cover anything tank related? It's usually under general liability but it doesn't hurt to ask for the rider. For the right amount of premium, they'll cover anything.

I actually plan on calling State Farm this weekv about my tank. I'll let you know what they say. I hope they aren't vague with me as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Coverage should be in writing not left up to an insurance adjuster, if its not specifically copvered they will not cover it. Follow Jeff's advice

you also have to be careful as a lot of the time the insurer will cover the tank/stand equipment etc but do not cover ANY livestock! I know with my system losing the tank would suck but all the livestock would be just as painful to my checkbook if not worse off!

Not sure of your living situation but when i lived in my highrise i spent a couple hundred on an umbrella policy just in case it did ever leak, i would have some cushion on the liability side of damaging other peoples property.

Yea, won't add any rider for the tank/waterbed or any furniture. Does anyone have any suggestions on which home owners insurance company to go with?

I definitely would switch to another company. I'm with USAA and they are by far the best insurance company I've ever had.

Bcavalli;1095149 wrote: I definitely would switch to another company. I'm with USAA and they are by far the best insurance company I've ever had.

Do they cover anything with tanks?

spiderman097;1095123 wrote: I have homeowner's insurance through progressive underwritten by homesite. I'm putting in a 180gallon onto the floor above a crawl space. I asked him very specifically if a leak springs up out of no where, unrelated to any maintenance will it cover the damage caused? He said it's up to the inspector on the cause, if it's due to the structure of the tank/seals, then it may not be covered.

Is this true? I need some insight, because it really is a fear of mine, and I need it covered. It's literally 180gallons of water that can spill everywhere. If someone has a policy that they know will cover random leaks, I'll switch my policy to that.

If you are above a crawl space, think about drilling a drain hole under the stand. Better to have 180 gallons of saltwater in the crawl space than 1/2" deep over the whole room.

your home owners insurance will cover you if the tank breaks(flooding) by covering the cost to repair the house. They will not cover the tank or anything in it, and I have never heard of any insurance company that will.

You absolutely need a water escape rider. It should not cost very much at all, but you need it specifically.

If your current carrier can't/won't do that, go elsewhere. It's a pretty standard add-on.

You might be able to get extra coverage for the livestock but I daresay that will cost more.

When I had my shop, I had a policy that would cover livestock loss resulting from a covered peril. Then again, my agent was a hobbyist so she understood all that. Unfortunately she has passed away or I'd refer you to her.

Jenn

Calling state farm now. My insurance company came back to me saying that any ensuing water damage from the tank leaking should be covered. Because since it's one of the 16 "named perils" being water or steam from plumbing, hvac, or appliance. And a fish tank is not an exception for coverage, it should be covered.

I still don't like it, I'd rather have it be an explicit rider, rather than an implicit coverage. I'm calling around today to see what i can come up with.

State farm doesn't have a rider for Aquariums, but they don't exclude it. The agent I just talked to says the aquarium would be covered.

Now you guys have me wondering if I was misinformed or misunderstood our insurance policies. I'm going to reach out to USAA today and confirm our coverage. Better to take care of this stuff before it happens. Lol.

I reached out to Nationwide, and agent is going to call an underwriter and call me back. She just called me, and saying that the coverage is implicit and it's already covered. No extra riders need to be added

I work in the industry and Allstate covers water damage that is sudden and accidental. Meaning, the insured didn't intentionally cause the damage. So, if the tank or the associated plumbing springs a leak or breaks and causes water damage then the water damage will be covered under the policy as there is no exclusion listed for fish tanks. That being said, there is not coverage for the repair of the tank or the plumbing associated with that tank. And there is no coverage for the fish or other living creatures in the tank (Livestock).

mandycasa;1095217 wrote: I work in the industry and Allstate covers water damage that is sudden and accidental. Meaning, the insured didn't intentionally cause the damage. So, if the tank or the associated plumbing springs a leak or breaks and causes water damage then the water damage will be covered under the policy as there is no exclusion listed for fish tanks. That being said, there is not coverage for the repair of the tank or the plumbing associated with that tank. And there is no coverage for the fish or other living creatures in the tank (Livestock).

This is pretty much the same from all 3 of the insurance companies I called today. There is no explicit coverage for tanks/waterbeds/flooding from furniture. But tanks are not excluded, and they are generally</em> covered. I don't know what would cause it to not be covered, and that's scary.

Back