Internal pressure for co2 regulator and bubble count

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
I’m setting up a CarlRx with carbon doser electronic solenoid.

So far I noticed that the bubbles are not one drop at a time. Should I increase the internal pressure such that it’s one drop per how ever many seconds that I set it to?

In the video, the solenoid is set to 1 bubble very 3 sec with the internal pressure of 9psi.

How do I know I won’t damage the solenoid if I dial the internal pressure to, say, 15psi?

So I have the same regulator. It's amazing. Yes you need to adjust the pressure in order to get a single bubble per click if that's your goal and why not?

Mine is at 6 and I do get single bubbles. I think the operating pressure difference between us is that I'm using a peristaltic pump to pull the water out of the reactor instead of pumping water into the reactor causing internal pressure. Since the pressure in my reactor is lower I guess I don't need quite as much pressure from the regulator.

I do think 15 is on the high side... and although I've not heard of these solenoids being damaged from that it seems reasonable to seek a lower pressure closer to the mid range of the dial. It wouldn't hurt to contact the manufacturer on this though. Perhaps its a completely trivial point and the solenoid has no problem with up to 30? I have no idea :).

Finally, if you're not at a single bubble per tic... it's not a big deal imo. It'll still provide super consistent co2 disbursement regardless of the number of bubbles you are seeing. It's the same amount of co2 being disbursed every tic... it just doesn't display itself consistently in the bubble counter but that's more of a function of surface tension and more aesthetic for us.

Back