Is a mag 19 retrn pump too much for a 92 corner bow?

joshainga

Market
Reaction score
Just want some input as that's what i have now. I know i can put a valve on it to turn the flow down but on a reef tank with with 2 2ft spray bars would that need to be done? 4ft of head so flow should be around 1300-1400 gph and i've read that a reef should be 10-12x tank volume. the return tubing is 3/4in and intake tube is 1in. Bare with me, this is my 1st time plumbing i just want to make sure everything is done right.

Edit: Mag 18 i have no clue why my phone does that when i type guess its my fat fingers lol

Thats a lot of flow through a sump. A mag 7 would be enough but I don't think it's really gonna hurt anything.

The mag 18 came with the tank but the plumbing didn't so i've been getting it all figured out

I would use a 9.5 or 12 if I was planning to use the pump to run a manifold as well as the main return. That 18 will need to be restricted for a standard single over flow box to handle.

I run a mag 12 on my 210 and have modified maxi-jet 1200s to produce flow.

Slower flow through a filter gives it a better quality filtration. You usually want the filter to turn the tank over 5x per hour and add the rest of the flow via closed loop or power heads.

hey dillon you got any time to stop by the store tomorrow and check it out? I'm trying to hurry and get this tank running as my 2ft led fixtures are supposed to be in then. Trying to get the 55 transfered and 92 cycled so i can start adding corals

Im working from 11-7 tomorrow, how late are you open? I need Timothy Hay for my tortoise, so Ive been meaning to come by anyways. I have been super busy on my days off with a bunch of installs and have had NO TIME... I guess work is good, but I could use a day off!

I understand well our hrs are prety much the same. and most off days have either been the kids being sick or me sick from those stupid stomache bugs. I know tank will be running by weds with rock and everything else in by thurs. Just gotta figure where to move the tank before i go that far. I'm not feeling the idea of it being by the window due to heat issues

at the shop for a couple of months i'm planning on buying a house in feb/march back out in hiram

Edit: then it will make the move back with me.

Overflow drains are designed to handle about 600 GPH, so IMO it's way too much.

Jenn

Would a valve put on between the pump and the return line shut 1/3 or 1/2 the way be ok?

It'll wear the pump out prematurely but it's doable.

I'd just put a smaller pump on there.

Jenn

You need to consider heat with mag pumps in general. Putting a mag 18 on that size tank may require a chiller for the pump alone.

Restricting the pump outlet will not hurt anything</em>!!! It actually will run a little more efficient with some head pressure applied. The pump knows no difference from pumping up 20 feet or being restricted by a ball valve. It will not wear out any quicker with one vs, the other. Since the pump will draw less electricity thereby less wattage the heat is less as well. Is that pump too big ? NO . Is larger than needed? YES. Mags do seem to run warmer because they draw high wattage.

Well I will also be running my new led fixtures as well they should be here today a buddy of mine built it for me. I may only run 1 considering that the fixtures are 2ft long and I. Figure with decent lenses I should get pretty good coverage with 3watt led

Here's another question wouldn't 2 2ft spray bars with say 8-10 holes on each also restrict flow as well. Talked to my bud who I got the tank from and he said he ran it full throttle

Back