Is a Reef Keeper Worth the $$$?

Thanks for the all the great input and opinions.

From what I gather, I should just start with the most basic model and go from there. I don't have a CA reactor, or many other things that a lot of you with larger tanks have just because I either don't yet have the need for them or don't have the money for them. Mostly the money.

Here's another question...do they carry a good warranty from the manufacturer?

I don't have one and I am not a gadget guy who likes to contoll everything. I don't care if I can turn my power head off and on threw the Internet when I am 5hrs away from home.

I do like that they can and will turn my lights off if the tank gets too hot and this is the only reason I will buy one. That and I want one that will email me while I am out of town. I think there are 2 major fail points one everything thats plugged into it will be cut of if the unit trips a breaker and the same thing can happen if the unit breaks. Now I have never used one so who knows I may change my mind after I have one. IF it were me I would make sure I have a good skimmer, automatic 2 part dose or calcium reactor before I spent the money on a controller. It seems every month there are at least 2 post of these things braking just on this site.

Joe

Todd, I agree cheapy H.D. timers are the trick and you don't even need to spend $20 a pop you can get them for $12 and their digital too. As for my case being an electrical contractor with years of controls experience I can put together my own system to do the monitoring needed for a fraction of the cost of an RK2. As for a timer bursting been using digital timers from H.D. for years without a problem and who says the RK2 unit won't malfuntion. Buy the cheap timers spend the rest on stock for your tank and maybe consider a UPS in case you lose power

not any hate for controllers on my part just saying unless you are running a very large system WHY spend the dollars it costs for the controller that for the most and I do say most part can be done with a $12 timer.

I've had my controller save my tank on two occasions that simple timers woulda been useless for.

The first occasion was when both my float valves in my sump got stuck on. The ro/di with kalk was being poured into the tank. The controller shut the top off pump once the ph reached 8.4 thereby averting what could of been a total tank wipe out.

The second occasion was when my fancy 10 dollar "chiller" which is a cheap fan was encrusted with salt and stopped working. To aggravate matters my canopy fans also stopped working... The temperature must've gotten up to 84 as the tank lights shut off. When I got home the lights were off and the temperature was 82.

Sure a controller isn't going to save your *** in every situation. It's not there for that but its a handy backup and its useful if used correctly. I personally would never run any reef tank without one. It's a lil bit of peace of mind and a lil bit of save your but on occasion. It's paid for itself many times over imo. Noone said it can't fail btw, every component will fail eventually. Hopefully you have enough redundancy such that they won't all fail at the same time :). Everyone that only wants a timer... GET A TIMER and as Brian said, stop the controller hatin!

Keep in mind that you can also get them at lower prices. I got mine through ARC group buys a year or two ago and saved a bunch.

Interesting to see people on both sides of the fence. I can see the arguments on both sides. I still think that people that say that they'd rather have a bunch of home depot timers would change their mind after just a week of using an RKII. It's like any other piece of equipment- it makes life easier, not foolproof.

Any piece of equipment can fail - anyone in this hobby long enough can tell you that. But you might as well pick pieces of equipment that keep things clean and make things easier, and this is one of them, IMO.

Why Chris?

I have Pinpoint Monitor for Ph..I have a Monitor for my Ca Reactor, My temperture/heater is plugged into my Chiller.....

What can I possibly do with that that I don't already do? Like I said, I had one...and even had the expansion module. Simon and look at my set up, we stared at each other...said "what can we hook up ?" We looked at each other and said nothing needs this controller that I am not already controlling. :)

Tossed it back in the box.....gave it to Doug for Reeftanklighting.

So yeah, I can say...I don't really need that :)

As for maybe SPACE savings? I don't have that issue..My basement wide open..

Just my thoughts.....especially if your new to reefing...stay simple, understand your system and it works, etc...

maybe after years and if your bored and want to spent $400 on something...but even then, I would rather a huge mother coral colony.

I didn't use it for controlling pH for anything, but have used it for multiple level of light controls, heater control, fan control, and power head timers. The last feature is only moderately useful, but the others are pretty nice for a $250 device - a dual stage thermostat will run you $100, and three $20 HD timers will run you another sixty bucks. Add in a pH controller and some other stuff, and you might as well get it all self contained in one unit.

I see the RK2 as simpler and easier than dealing with a bunch of timers - especially when the power goes out and you have to re-set all your timers. To each his own, I suppose.

I have to agree with everyone here BUT Todd! ;) I love my two RKIIs and would never run a tank without one again. My reef life can be measured as the time before controller (BC) and the time "after dealing with it" (AD). The AD time is so much better! ;)

On a better note, I am breaking down one of my systems, so when I get it done, I will have a RKII for sale! ;)

Maybe in a life were I did not spend so much money on controllers before something like that came along.....but when I already owned controllers and timers and they all work great controlling what they are controlling..it's just a silly waste of $ in my opinion only that's all.....never let it be said that I am in the majority with opinions here :)..

As for timers going out with power....well I have 2 timers...so it the power goes out, so what the lights come on X hours later and off Y hours later..Deal with it once I know about it..

You telling me the corals know what time of the day it is now? :)

washowi;278932 wrote: You telling me the corals know what time of the day it is now? :)

Actually, yes- they start closing up and extending polyps about 30 mins before the light goes out. Photoperiods for plants and animals have long been established. However, to your point, I don't think it'll hurt anything if things are on later once or twice- it's just a pain to reset everything.

To Charlie's point- I don't allow any critical system to be controlled by one computer- either I have redundant controllers or I have some manual control. I typically try to setup my controllers as a passive alerts instead of active controls, except for heat and cooling, but I have separate controllers for those. Controllers are a tool, and like any tool, they can only be expected to work within certain limits.

I just want to hate on controllers some more and say they suck. Thats for you Jin.:)

Joe

ares;279015 wrote: lights can fail, fine, heaters can fail, no big deal, long as circulation keeps on rolling, its all good, plugged straight to outlets on 2 different breakers :) wouldnt have it any other way.

Same here! :up: I use 4 different circuits, and a tunze from each of the tanks is plugged directly into my pure sine wave UPS. You can't have too much redundancy, although a automatic backup generator would be really nice...

I love my Aquacontroller....I've never used a ReefKeeper.

For all the reasons people have already mentioned, I would never run my reef tank without it.

sailfish;279009 wrote: I just want to hate on controllers some more and say they suck. Thats for you Jin.:)

Joe

LOL thanks Joe. They hate you too :).

Anyways...

Noone here said you have to have one to reef successfully. You certainly can get by without one. You don't even need a ph monitor really to do this hobby right. Darren for example comes to mind as that guy doesn't use any monitors or controllers or even an ATO but still has an uber tank. Automation can be the devil if you don't know what you're doing either. I remember I misprogrammed my AC Jr when I first got it and two components were fighting each other... it was hilarious the lights kept turning on then off all day.

The main point though that has yet to be contended here AT ALL is that an allin one controller can be used for redundancy at a fair cost to keep your system running properly. Sure you can get 2 Ph controllers and then 2 temp controllers and a bunch of timers but that's more expensive than getting an allinone to backup your primary controllers and the allinone still has additional saftey features like the temp/light cutoff that no timer can replicate. Many people will use an allinone as their primary controller as well, which is fine but that's not something I advocate. That is all.

I started off with the "I'll never get a RK" mode of thinking, did the whole timer thing...and yes it was bulky (for me) it did work and just fine. However I did have many of those timers go out on me (cheap and expensive) that equaled to be more of a pain (for me). Then one day I bought a used RK and plugged in what I found necessary. It has on 2 occasions saved my tank from heat issues. I also have a ranco for a back up. It has also saved my tank due to kalk over dose. Yeah it's expensive, yes it's a glorified timer (but with more options than a timer can give you) but for me...it's awesome. Yeah sure some people like them, some don't ....if what ever works for you, don't change it. I'll recommend them, but wont push it on people to get them.

Reefkeeper lites start shipping in February. You can order from DA's website or Marine Depot on a pre order basis. I am sure Sam and other sponsors will have shortly.

Back