Is this valve reef safe?

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
Back flow valve that I had laying around, i want to use it but noticed that it had metal in it. I'm sure I've seen this style valve on reef tanks, but I my someone to confirm that this is in fact reef safe.
55bbfcf2571ab39744c58e744da137ab.jpg
c3c0ff25f0e97d2159f249bac1f9a8cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Without knowing what that metal is I wouldn't trust it. Does it have any manufacturing labels/numbers on it?

Regardless, you want one that you can disassemble to clean it regularly.

Check valves often don't cause any problems, ...until you need them to work.

Here-

If the spring is stainless then I'd assume the metal washer and screw would be to. Have you got a skinny magnet you can stick down it to see if it sticks? If it's a ferric stainless then the magnet will stick but if it's a higher quality (with nickel) it would be fine. On the other hand, I've had things rust in my tanks and it's never been an issue.

No its not, it will rust out and not work within 2 months. You want an all plastic flapper type check valve. They are $10-$30 depending on size.

You will also want a spare one with some unions as they require cleaning at least every 6 months to keep working and its much easier to swap it out and clean it rather than shut the system down to clean it. This is true for any check valve on a reef system.

Back