JBD's frag tank... I could use some help along the way.

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
First off, I put this thread in the DIY section because the build will be DIY intensive. If it needs to move, that's fine.

I have reached a point where my tank is full of frags, but I want more. Call me crazy, out of control, infected with the reef bug, or what have you. This has lead me to the conclusion that I "need" a frag tank.

I originally considered just adding a small tank, plumbed into my existing system, like I have seen at so many other members' houses. However, I've decided against it for multiple reasons:

1. There just isn't enough room under my 125 to add a frag tank in my stand. If I did go this route, I would be limited to something like a 20 gallon tank. I want to go bigger.

2. I don't really have the room to put another tank beside my aquarium. I'm limited to 17" on either side. Again, available space is cramping my style.

3. I briefly considered putting a frag tank on the opposite side of the wall in the next room but quickly realized that my wife would veto that idea. Plus, in the long run, I'm planning to put a tank in said wall, viewable from both rooms.

4. I like the security that a separate system provides me with regards to tank crashes. I have not experienced one, but the horror stories are enough to give me concern. Yes, I know that more tanks equals more work.

What are your thoughts about the combined/separate systems? Is my head on straight?

So what's the plan?

The ultimate plan is to have a large DT on my main floor and plumb it to a basement sump that's in a fish room, so I'm planning to build the frag tank that will permently be in my fish room. Here's what I'm thinking...

Tank(s):

PLAN A -Use two 40B tanks plumbed into the same system and use ball valves to control the amount of flow going to each tank. This way, I can setup one of the tanks with a medium flow and the other with a high flow. Are the ball valves going to give me a benefit? Or do you think using different power heads in each tank is enough to achieve the desired effect? I'm invisioning these tanks sitting side by side (almost like one tank).

PLAN B -build a customer frag tank out of acrylic. I was thinking that a 6' x 24" x 12" would be a good size. This option will cost more in the end, but has the potential to look better. Of course, I would lose the effect of controlling the separate flows.

Which idea would you pick?

Sump:

I've spent the last couple of weeks checking out other sponsor and member frag tanks. I was surprised to see a lack of live rock in the stand alone frag tanks. It seems like matrix is the way to go. It seems the standard sump includes the basics (sock, Skimmer, reactors, etc) but uses matrix instead of live rock. Would I be making a mistake to go this route?

Finally, most frag tanks that I have seen have a few fish in them, but they are selected carefully. It seems that the best idea is to add a few fish that perform a job such as those that will eat algae.

Currently, my DIY list of projects will include a stand, electrical work, framing, drywalling (basically basement finishing work, etc.), sump, and probably lights. This is a minimum. I'm a very DIY king of guy, and pretty much always consider doing something myself first.

I'm looking forward to this project and your feedback/suggestions along the way.

copycat... :eek:) jk

i have a basement set up as well.. u need to come check it out. I would say looking back, adjusting the flow into the 2 tanks would be secondary to just getting more/different powerheads.. depending on size of pipe, those things can get $$

You could use an 80 breeder and the use powerheads for flow. Oz has a 60 breeder in his basement. If you went with the 60 you would only need one light.

1mbrews8;744132 wrote: copycat... :eek:) jk

i have a basement set up as well.. u need to come check it out. I would say looking back, adjusting the flow into the 2 tanks would be secondary to just getting more/different powerheads.. depending on size of pipe, those things can get $$

Wow, my "dream" is close to your reality. I had not read through your build thread until now. Nice job. I'll definitely have to make a visit one day to check things out. Other than the use of power heads for flow, is there anything else that you would change? How do you like the rubber made as a sump? How many pumps are you using, and what are they running?

Edit:
jimknutson;744136 wrote: You could use an 80 breeder and the use powerheads for flow. Oz has a 60 breeder in his basement. If you went with the 60 you would only need one light.

I actually just went to his house last week. It was good to see his setup, and I definitely took away some ideas.

rubbermaid is great.. i have a reefflo wahoo, but am modding to make it a marlin for more flow..

i would have used bigger piping i am now figuring out and fixing..
added a easier way to feed/lift DT canopy. The "lifters" i originally had did not work, so just havent put others in, but it is a pain. I have my nice self custom built canopy held open with a 2x4 98% of the time..
ummmmm. nothing much else in the actual build.

NOW
thinking about adding cal reactor
MORE TANKS!! hahahahah
LEDs

Here's my first go at the sump design for my frag tank. This version operates at a water depth of 10". There are really 4 chambers. From left to right: 1) drain/skimmer (a little more than 10" x 11", excluding area under filter socks 2) refugium 3) wall of seachem matrix, 3" thick and 10" tall (or a little more) and 4) return pump section.

See any potential issues? I'm a little concerned about the size of the space for the skimmer, but for an 100 gallon system, I feel like it's enough space.

Am I missing anything?
sumpdesign.jpg
alt="" />

Total dimensions are 40 x 15 x 16. The tall baffles are at 14".

There is a 72x24x12 acrylic tank for sale right now, hint hint

I already spoke to him about it. I had to pass. Thanks for letting me know though.

Well, I maybe going acrylic. I mocked this sketch up today. I did the overflow this way because I'm expecting that, one day, ANY space in the tank will be prime real estate. The overflow would be setup for a return line and an emergency drain.

Any thoughts? I plan to have two of these for the reasons noted above (2 40B's).

Dimensions: 30" L x 18" W x 12.75" T (should be just shy of 30 gallons)

I have questions. Are two return lines on each tank too many for a tank of this size? The fewer powerheads I have the better. Maybe I should run one return line and make it a spray bar.

I would really like to start building these this weekend, so any feedback is appreciated. However, the build can only begin when I have all the materials: sigh...
Fragtank11.jpg
alt="" />

Fragtank12.jpg
alt="" />

The four pieces of acrylic I have would be perfect for the four ends (2 per each of 2 tanks). That you cut off could be the top Euro bracing on each of the 4 ends as well. The bent parts could be the material for you overflow. That would leave you with buying the fronts, backs and bottoms.

rdnelson99;746867 wrote: The four pieces of acrylic I have would be perfect for the four ends (2 per each of 2 tanks). That you cut off could be the top Euro bracing on each of the 4 ends as well. The bent parts could be the material for you overflow. That would leave you with buying the fronts, backs and bottoms.

Those are pretty much the pieces I'm still trying to line up! I have an idea for the backs. I'm just really working on finding the long front pieces.

I also found one 40B for sale at a good price. There's hope for that option too.

The petco sale should be coming up soon. Might try calling them and see if they know when the next one is.

I know they just did the $1 per gallon sale. I want to say it just ended, which is sad...

Edit: I'm certain it was happening in January, I'm not sure about February.

Alright, i'll post an update later today. I've made a lot of progress, but for now, I need some input...

What kind of lighting would you use on a 20g long frag tank. I would love LEDs, but this is a budget friendly build...

My thoughts are to go with t5's. Do you think 2 would be enough? I'll be growing a little of everything.

I have a 24 in 96 Watt T5 Ho on my 20 gallon and it does great.
( 4 x 24 watt ) Fixture was kinda cheap odeyessa I believe but I added new bulbs and it works great. Under 100$

I am between 2 bulbs and 4, you don't think 4 bulbs is too much? How high do you have it mounted?

Hey John, your designs look great so far! Just a FYI from my own experience as well as watching others; small, standalone frag systems rarely work well. They are best when plumbed into your larger system, as this stabilizes the larger tank with more water and provides equal water quality to your frags.

What ends up happening if you do it the other way, is you end up with a smaller body of water that is almost impossible to keep as clean as your main tank, usually with inferior equipment. When you frag coral, you will end up not wanting to put it in the "frag" tank, as the coral is less likely to flourish as in your main tank.

I really find it hard to keep less than around 60 gallons of water "dialed in" to the point coral can grow rapidly. That is the whole point of a frag tank, yes?

As far as lighting, T5s are probably best for a frag tank. Good growth, low(er) heat, relatively inexpensive. Get the 4 bulb.

So in short, either tie in into the same system (this might not be an option) or do a larger system than you think you need, preferably with a large sump/nice skimmer.

-Ryan

Back