JBD's frag tank... I could use some help along the way.

Thanks Ryan. I appreciate the feed back. My whole design has changed. No more sump because I'm going to tie into the existing system. If I can get the stand doors finished, start painting, and cut the grass, I'll be ready to post pics and show what I've done and the new plans....

Sounds like 4 bulbs is the way to go.

Cut the grass???? Oh no, I knew there was something I was forgetting while planning this week. LOL My yard looks like a disaster area right now because of all the time I have spent on my build.

JBDreefs;761019 wrote: :) I don't want any letters from the HOA... mine is a pain in the rear!

I am sure mine is in the mail box. :) Which kind of sucks since up until a couple months ago I was the President of the HOA. I got sick of the people on a power trip and had enough after almost 7 years of dealing with it. Time to let someone else handle it. :yay::yay:

Taking a quick break...

Here is the executive summary of the new plans:

Two 20 gallon long aquariums that I picked up from a closing fish store. They were drilled for a drain but no return. I'm using the "drian" as a return and I drilled a new hole for the drain.

These will sit on a DIY stand which I'm almost done building. Once my doors are done gluing, it'll be time to sand and paint. Dimensions, rough, 60.5" x 36" x 12.5"

I have the canopy pieces cut, but I quit working on it because I'm not sure let how I'm going to mount it. Ideally, I'd like to attach it to the wall behind the tank. I have to think this through more!

No sump, I will plumb the tanks through a wall to my main display. "Should be easy."

I'm going to go with 4 T5s over the setup. I'm going to pick up two 2-bulb fixtures and try rewiring them to make pairs that go ABAB. I'm going this route because it'll be cheaper.

Suggestions on bulb combinations are welcome. Obviously growth is important. I've read several places that the GE 6500k gives nice growth. Anyone gone that route before?

I'm thinking about going with (I don't know the names...) 2 super blues, a 12k, and the 6500k...

Here's an update, finally!

mapping out the cuts.
9FC14874.jpg
alt="" />

Front panel after cutting out the doors and routing the edges.
2B41DBB4.jpg
alt="" />

I made all of the trim pieces from 1x3 "premium" pine.
E7ECAEF4.jpg
alt="" />

Pic of the stiles for the doors.
92CF700A.jpg
alt="" />

...rails...
434E1161.jpg
alt="" />

Assembled, and painting --- a little action pic :shades:
84BA9A3E.jpg
alt="" />

And finally, the stand. Waiting for paint to dry on the doors...
BBD3997E.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: wow... iphone pics are terrible...

Wow. Nicely done. :). Always good to take part in a little "saw dust therapy" isn't it.

Yeah, and lots of saw dust. I don't have the fancy vacuum setup, so when the routers come out of the tool box, things get a little messy!

I know the feeling. Shop vac works but not well. LOL By the way, are you painting in your PJs. LOL

More progress, but it was haulted last night because my weld-on container was bone dry. I guess it's important to make sure the lid is tight.

The 20g tanks I purchased were drilled once in a top corner. The LFS used this bulkhead for a drain. I'm assuming that they had the returns plumbed up and over the edge of the tank. That was fine and dandy for their purposes, but I want a much cleaner look.

Thanks to Jim (we'll miss you when you move to Florida) for letting me borrow a diamond bit hole saw to cut holes for 1" bulk heads. I couldn't decide where to drill my new holes. I wasn't sure if the bottom was tempered or not, so I went with the safe route and drilled the back pane. However, I wasn't sure where to drill there either? Near the top? near the bottom? I wanted the most flexibility so I drilled in the corner and about halfway up from the bottom. This allows me to plumb up and down, depending on what I like. It's too late now, but hearing what you think is the best position may help others and me in the future...

5D410686.jpg
alt="" />

On to the DIY internal overflow.... Again, I wanted this to look pretty good and not so much like a POS... So I built a jig to cut teeth in acrylic (or whatever). It's pratically the same thing as a jig to cut dovetails. I made a sled for my table saw.

Runners...
BC8276EE.jpg
alt="" />

Sled assembled and all glued up...
E96D2F51.jpg
alt="" />

This is what it looks like during the cut. Notice the stopper I created and glued into place. This ensures that my cuts are an equal distance from one another.
0FC3BAC1.jpg
alt="" />

And the final product! (well, half of it... lol).
83BD84AC.jpg
alt="" />

I originally wanted to put this tank in our formal living room and tie into my DT. However, I couldn't set the stand where I wanted and have the room look like the furniture was well organized. The room just didn't look right. At this point, I have three options: (1) buy new furniture (tried removing some!) or move the tank to another room, (2) move the tank to another room and plumb it and the DT together over some unknown distance, and (3) setup the tank in another room as a solo system. My thoughts: (1) not happening! (2) too much work, not ready for that!, (3) yes, please.

So, I need to build a sump. I have the materials and should have it completed this evening.

Looking great. :) You do nice work. Sounds like you have the sump covered but, I have a 20 gal that just came off my 45 or the 45 that could be easily made into a sump. Both will be going on the auction block before long but I you wanted you could have first dibs.

Thanks Rich! I appreciate it, but I already have the material an it's been cut.

I have T-5's with 6 bulbs on my 2-40g breeders and 4 bulbs on my 30g breeder(I wish I had gone with 6 bulbs). You are welcome to come over and check it out! The SPS do better with more light. Holley :D

JBDreefs;760965 wrote: I am between 2 bulbs and 4, you don't think 4 bulbs is too much? How high do you have it mounted?

Holley, that would be great. Maybe I could pickup something too! Are you around? I'm headed to lawrenceville now and could drop by.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that over does things. You might have the nicest stand ever put under a frag tank.

I put in a basement fishroom, complete with fresh drywall, countertops, utility sink, cabinets, drop ceiling and air conditioning. I haven't painted the door though (yet).

RealFish;762302 wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only person that over does things. You might have the nicest stand ever put under a frag tank.

I put in a basement fishroom, complete with fresh drywall, countertops, utility sink, cabinets, drop ceiling and air conditioning. I haven't painted the door though (yet).

Thanks! I wanted it to be "presentable" because it's going to be on display.

Oh the fish room.... I'll just say it's in the plans. I have a space in the basement that would either be good for a small kitchen or a fish room. I'm sure my wife will want the kitchen... but I'm the builder!

thanks!ever figure out your LED problem?

LegalReefer;762494 wrote: Nicely done. Its nice to see someone do a DIY project and it be of quality.

More progress!

I finished the sump...here, i'm testing for leaks.
539A248E.jpg
alt="" />

and put together a manifold...
D6F626DB.jpg
alt="" />

I have one very small leak in the manifold. In my experience, salt and gunk will eventually clog it. I had the tank up and running with tap water overnight and the water that came out of the leak never made it to the bottom of the stand (that's how slow it is). Any suggestions on how to fix it. I don't really want to build a new manifold. I tried coating the seam in pvc cement. It helped, but didn't do the job.

I'm hoping to build the canopy today and install the cabinet doors. I should be up and running by the weekend.

Is there a way to avoid a cycle? My sump is designed to run a refugium and force 100% of the water through a chamber of matrix. I have plenty of LR rubble to put in the matrix chamber. the frag tanks have a bare bottom. I'll probably fill the tank with a large water change from my display.

another question... I've never had a refugium. Do they need sand? Or can I just add the macro and be done? I'm not worried about growing pods, etc.

Thanks!

Back