Join T-5 club

Some better lamps are from DD geisman, and uvl. I like my geismans.

wmboots;298641 wrote: Panda didn't pose this question to start an argument but do love a good discussion, having been in the electrical field for 40 plus years (yes I'm dating myself) and working with "GREEN" (I hate that term) lighting for a couple of years now you can throw me all the par numbers etc. you want. The reason t-5's can replace 3 400 watt MH's is due to there reflectors and they way they cast light (by the way 6 x 54 = 324). Now I will say light does react differntly in water (gee learned that becoming a master dive instructor) than it does on land. T-5's have their limitations but not nearly the limitations of a metal halide fixture. For one find me an actinic MH bulb and a second point put a thermometer next to a MH ballast or lamp versus t-5's. For the most part everyone loves to talk about the shimmer of the MH fixture and that is because the initial 1" of water where all the movement is causing light refraction that gives the shimmer but you also have substantial shadowing with MH's that you won't have with t-5's and that is because if you have a 48" long tank you have 47.5" long lamps so you get equalized lighting across the tank, you lose the shimmer because you don't have the initial concentrated light that you get from a single MH bulb that covers what 6" -12" of your tank. As for my reflectors on my compacts well guess what these reflectors are for the individual lamps and I assure you they are quite comparable to t-5's I didn't say identical but comparable. I am considering going to t-5's for the exact reason I stated above about the lamp covering the whole surface area of my tank.

Boots:

I am not trying to be argumentative either, but I believe you are quite misinformed. I do not doubt nor discredit your electrical or diving experience, but I do not think they provide applicable experience to this discussion.

Yes, indeed, T5 will make a more even spread. Is this better? Furthermore, with quality MH reflector, such as Lumenbrights, which are raised off the water surface, that spread will be significant for a MH lamp. I would argue that the corals can do just as well, if not better with the point source illumination, rather than the "even" spread you discuss.

Regarding the temperaure issue (both color temperature and heat temperature), both are completely inconsequential, and I again believe you to be misinformed. I owned 20KK MH bulbs that made the lighting of flourescent actinic pointless. I could turn thhem on and off with no consequence while the MH bulb was burning. Indeed the MH bulbs are hotter. So what? What does this have to do with anything, no less "better"?

Again, I really think you are fooling yourself if you think your PCs are comparable to either T5s (properly set up), or MH. This has been proven and proven and proven again. I could gladly dig up much of this research for you, if youd like.

if you go back to my original question it was what are the advantages of t-5's versus compacts besides heat. I hear everyone saying they are better but haven't seen anything here telling me why. Essentially a power compact is a t-5 just a different configurtion of the lamp. If I'm misinformed about MH's so beit but I don't want the heat or the power bill associated with them that is why I posed the question about t-5's. I did see a super nice LED setup on ebay but not spending $2500 for lighting plus the patent issues involved which is a shame. 90% of LED's are made in China as it is to costly to manufacture them stateside. I don't quite get the LED patent issues as it hasn't affected the line of LED christmas lighting we sell, I'm curious as to whose toes got stepped on with the aquarium lighting. I currently have SPS and softs all started as frags and are growing nicely. I'm just curious as to how they would do with a couple of 4 lamp t-5 fixtures, would there growth increase or would I see some bleaching.

wmboots;298711 wrote: if you go back to my original question it was what are the advantages of t-5's versus compacts besides heat. I hear everyone saying they are better but haven't seen anything here telling me why. Essentially a power compact is a t-5 just a different configurtion of the lamp. If I'm misinformed about MH's so beit but I don't want the heat or the power bill associated with them that is why I posed the question about t-5's. I did see a super nice LED setup on ebay but not spending $2500 for lighting plus the patent issues involved which is a shame. 90% of LED's are made in China as it is to costly to manufacture them stateside. I don't quite get the LED patent issues as it hasn't affected the line of LED christmas lighting we sell, I'm curious as to whose toes got stepped on with the aquarium lighting. I currently have SPS and softs all started as frags and are growing nicely. I'm just curious as to how they would do with a couple of 4 lamp t-5 fixtures, would there growth increase or would I see some bleaching.

What makes T5s better are:

1) the suberb reflectors
2) the ability to get more per area
3) the ability to overdrive

well I will go with the at least number 2, but the ability to overdrive is inherent to lamp size. At this time if you are running 48" lamps the largest watt lamp you can get is 54 watts but you can overdrive compacts too. Most 24" compact ballasts are for 55 watts but you can overdrive them with 65 watt lamps which is what I use. I do have excellent reflectors but they are larger than you use with t-5's so you can get more t-5's in the same footprint of compacts which I see as a distinct advantage where I am cramped with barely getting 5 65 watt compacts in an area I can easily get 8 54 watt t-5's which gives me an additional 107 watts and there are more options of lamps with t-5's. Thanks Panda you gave me one reason I could go with and made me come up with at least one more. Just might join the t-5 club next week. Hey I see you live in Blue Ridge I do work in the area is there a saltwater shop in area or do you have to go south.

Just purchased a 6 bulb T5/TEK fixture. Need to get rig of a 48 inch 2X54 bulb T5 fixture. $125.00.

Any takers? :up:

Derek_S;298406 wrote: WELcome GROUPER!!!! Remeber that once it is installed you get the distinct privelidge of adding Club T5 to your sig.

What corals do you wanna keep? What color of tank are you kinda wanting?

If you really wanna do some reading you can check the RC T5 thread. It is long, but full of info.

I dont know yet. I have yellow and purple tang( i.e. might sale ), copperband, pair of maroons(i.e. trying to sale ) and some RBTA currently.

I want to see more deep colors from the tank. What do you suggest?

dawgdude;302427 wrote: I will add:

1) the suberb reflectors</em>
2) the ability to get more per area</em>
3) the ability to overdrive</em>
4) More spectrum choices
5) Superior quality of bulbs
6) Superior par output (highest pc tank I have tested was 576w and it maxed out at 400 at the surface)
7) Waterproof endcaps
8) MUCH longer bulb life (PC's drop off after 6-8 months while properly cooled T-5's last upwards of 12-18 months depending on the setup)

I could go on but I think thats enough for anyone to decide btw the two.

Yeah I am very happy with the set-up I bought from you. Did you run a fan in the canopy in the summer? Just curious, it doesnt need one in my opinion, I just want to see what you were doing with it.

So where is the hot point on the geismann bulbs you were using?

Guess I need to get a decent fan....LOL

Cool, thanks man. I am going to HD or lowes today to get a fan or two to sit in the canopy...more electricity to waste...YAY!!

Went and got two $10 fans at wal-mart. Seem like they will do the trick...

DSC01610.jpg
alt="" />

Hmm, well maybe I will look into that then too. There is not a whole lot of room anywhere near the bulbs.

hmm, well the lights seem to be A LOT cooler than before. I can touch them reflectors without any shreaking now...

Back