kent tech - m

I hope you followed the protocol correctly. You are only supposed to raise Mg by no more than 100ppm per day. So if you were at 1400....it would be two days of dosing to get you to 1600.

It took a week or so for me to notice a little die off. I really started to notice it weeks 2 and 3 and by 4 it was practically all gone...

porpoiseaquatics;972494 wrote: I hope you followed the protocol correctly. You are only supposed to raise Mg by no more than 100ppm per day. So if you were at 1400....it would be two days of dosing to get you to 1600.

I did.It takes 37.4 oz to raise 100ppm in my 205 gal volume of water.I started at 1250ppm inmy tank.Its going to about 4 days to get there.But Thanks for the info.

cment;972496 wrote: It took a week or so for me to notice a little die off. I really started to notice it weeks 2 and 3 and by 4 it was practically all gone...

Thanks, for your help aswell.I do research this type of stuff.But I like to get a little insurance.

Fishlips;972530 wrote: Thanks, for your help aswell.I do research this type of stuff.But I like to get a little insurance.

Not a problem man...hope this works out for you and you dont have to go the peroxide route. If you dont see any die off start raising it by 50/day. Like I said, I really started to notice it the 3 and 4th weeks when I bumped it up to 1800.

another good thread on it:
showthread.php

Some how, I'm at 1600 ppm.Im going for 1700 tomorrow and hold at that.My salinity is alittle high from the teck m.1.o27

I'm at day 10 at 1800 ppm.This stuff is still growing.Do I give it more time or what.

Fishlips;977077 wrote: I'm at day 10 at 1800 ppm.This stuff is still growing.Do I give it more time or what.
yeah give it more time, for me it took till really the end of week 2/beginning of week 3 to see it die off. I let mine go 5-6 weeks if I remember correctly. I wouldnt raise it anymore, hopefully youll start to see something soon...

Took my mag to 1800 several years ago and held it there for two weeks. I really do not think there is much increased risk to anything between those two levels (1600 or 1800).

It always seems like a lot of magnesium when you supplement. Magnesium chloride is magnesium chloride hexahydrate. It is mostly water in dry form to start with.

For me to raise 450 net gallons of water with a mag level of 1300 to 1350, I have to make up about 4 liters of Randy's 2 part. That totals about 7 1/2 cups of dry mag chl hexahydrate and 3/4 cup of dry mag sulfate just to make about a gallon of the stuff. That is a lot of mag chloride, but you have to use that much to get the proper amount of magnesium because so much of it in dry form is water.

I have had a few issues since reefing, like red slim, hundeds of aptasia, and won those battles.This one is really one tuff fight.

Fishlips;977144 wrote: I have had a few issues since reefing, like red slim, hundeds of aptasia, and won those battles.This one is really one tuff fight.

How did this go for you?

I started my DT fight on Friday and hit 1650ish on Sunday and noticed a lot of the smaller "bushes" turning brown. Yesterday maybe half of my bryopsis was brown, but still had a handful of larger green patches. I manually removed those today the best I could. I'm now around 1850 mag and will test daily to make sure I stay there until everything is gone. Skimming a little more wet right now to accommodate the die-off. My skimmer seems to be a lot more active in the last 48 hours.

I'm surprised to see anything this soon though ... for those that have pulled this off successfully: what happens to the dead bryopsis? Does it just go away or does it all need to be manually removed? I've done a lot of reading on this and that's always a question that seems to go unanswered. Want to make sure I do this right, because my gallon of Tech M is already feeling pretty light. You sure do have to use a lot!

Well, I went about 5 weeks or so at 1800.Did nothing.It kept growing.I figured it might not be bryopsis.Or it just didn't work.So as of now, I'm using gfo and manually taking it out Doing heavy WC.Feeding less . I'm just starting to see improvement. WOW.What a battle.But, like all the other battles, will get it under control, and wait for what the next one will be.LOL.

It seems that each Bryopsis is different.
I fought mine for almost a year.

Ended up bumping the MA up to 2200 with Tech M.

I can tell you that in my case, tech m seemed to feed my Bryopsis.
It did manage to wipe out any hints of Aiptasia that I had. As well as my pod population and several corals.

I ended up pulling out the most infected rock, scrubbed the hell out of it, rinsed with peroxide then scrubbed it again. Finally gave it a vinegar soaking over night.

The rock that I pulled out was bone white and took a few months to regain it's color
I've since quit using Tech M and have done several water changes. I also added a GFO/Carbon reactor.

Thus far, I've been almost 9 months, Bryopsis (Aiptasia and pod as well) free.
I need to start adding pods back to the tank but...Since getting my own RO/DI system, I've had little need to go to a LFS and I'm too lazy to order them on-line.

Good luck. It's a hell of a battle.

Back