LED lighting: Now on display at Marine Fish

cgill311

Market
Reaction score
Marine Fish in Marietta has one of the new LED lights on display. Pretty cool, b/c the Kelvin rating is fully customizable with time. It produces no detectable heat. I imagine we'll all be making a conversion to LED lights in the next 3-5 years when the price comes down. :yay:

Does anyone know how the light intensity compares to MH's? It looked dim in the store, but I'm guessing it was on a low setting.

I saw the solaris at MACNA. At the highest k rating it compares quite well to a SE 250W (I think) 20k bulb. Not so bad. Not good enough to grow SPS in a deep tank but certainly good enough for most things.

I agree that in a few years these will be the way to go but man the price! Also as off now they are not customizable. You order a certain lowest k and get maybe one other choice. Eventually these will be the bomb allowing youto do anything you want along the color spectrum and even vary at different points.

im still shocked over the effectiviness of T-5's, one day I'll come to the realization of these, lol. I shall tho go see them, thanks for letting us know.

Thanks for letting us know...I'll have to pay them a visit to see it. Did you remember seeing shimmer lines in the tank where they are using the LEDs?

- Michael

CGill311 wrote: Marine Fish in Marietta has one of the new LED lights on display. Pretty cool, b/c the Kelvin rating is fully customizable with time. It produces no detectable heat. I imagine we'll all be making a conversion to LED lights in the next 3-5 years when the price comes down. :yay:

Does anyone know how the light intensity compares to MH's? It looked dim in the store, but I'm guessing it was on a low setting.

No you won't see shimmer lines. Shimmer lines are due to the point source of metal halides. With light being equally spread it's like having flourescents over the tank as far a shimmer lines go.

what size tank was it on,what was the cost and what did they have in the tank as far as corals go?

It depends... LEDs can produce shimmer. I have shimmer in my tank from my blue moon lights because there are three LEDs clustered together in a little fixture, one fixture per side. This gives me nightime blue "moon glow" with definite shimmer lines. You should not see shimmer in a tank that is lit across the entire tank with LEDs. The shimmer lines will be washed out and not visible due to the other lights all over the tank.

True if they aren't spread then it's a single point. These though are spread evenly over the fixture. You can have a shimmer line with any type of lighting. Point source is the key here.

glxtrix wrote: what size tank was it on,what was the cost and what did they have in the tank as far as corals go?

The LED fixture was on their counter and not on a tank. Maybe they'll add it somewhere. I think the cost was between $2000 - 3000 and it looked like it would fit a 75/90G tank.

Back