Lesson on sps?

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
Well i would like to have some sps in my tank like acropora,digi ect. I have tried but have got no growth on them. So i would like a little lesson on the basics like on what to dose and things like that.

Stable parameter alk/calcium/mag and nitrates and phosphates as low as possible. Most important IME. Then comes ample light and flow

Declanisadog;945816 wrote: Poorly worded...my bad

Its ok. And would i have to dose? Because i only want a couple frags.. If i do what do i dose

Depends on how fast your corals are depleting the elements/how often you're doing water changes. Weekly water changes should take care of it, but frequent testing us the only way to know what's actually going on.

What test kit do you recommend? I have a api but ive heard they can be in accurate.

I am not claiming to be an expert on SPS, but here are my thoughts:

* Stability is key: This includes stable temps, as well as Alk/ Calc/ Ph/ Salinity. One of the best ways to stabilize temps is to use a controller. Salinity can be controlled with an ATO and Alk/ Calc can be controlled with a calcium reactor.

* Flow is important: If you really want SPS to do well, they need to be in a high flow environment. I love the Vortech as it has multiple modes and can produce tremendous flow, but there are several good options out there.

* Nitrate/ Phosphate Control: SPS are very sensitive to the quality of the water. A good skimmer will help here, and a GFO reactor is an inexpensive but effective way to control phosphates. Using a good water sources/ RODI unit will help with this.

* Light: My only experience is with metal halides, and I know this is an effective light source for SPS. MANY members here have success with LEDs as well as T-5's, so you have a lot of options when it comes to lights. In general, SPS should be acclimated to lights and slowly moved to the top of the tank.

So i have most of the equipment needed but i don't have a calcium reactor. How do those work? Is it like a phosban reactor?

JeffMuse;945841 wrote: I am not claiming to be an expert on SPS, but here are my thoughts:

* Stability is key: This includes stable temps, as well as Alk/ Calc/ Ph/ Salinity. One of the best ways to stabilize temps is to use a controller. Salinity can be controlled with an ATO and Alk/ Calc can be controlled with a calcium reactor.

* Flow is important: If you really want SPS to do well, they need to be in a high flow environment. I love the Vortech as it has multiple modes and can produce tremendous flow, but there are several good options out there.

* Nitrate/ Phosphate Control: SPS are very sensitive to the quality of the water. A good skimmer will help here, and a GFO reactor is an inexpensive but effective way to control phosphates. Using a good water sources/ RODI unit will help with this.

* Light: My only experience is with metal halides, and I know this is an effective light source for SPS. MANY members here have success with LEDs as well as T-5's, so you have a lot of options when it comes to lights. In general, SPS should be acclimated to lights and slowly moved to the top of the tank.

large weekly water changes, matching alk, calcium, mag....nitrate control in addition to everything he said...."get that gfo reactor"...you should be good to go!

JC_k;945857 wrote: Would a 2little fishies phosban reactor be good?

yes, but I prefer the dual BRS reactor at bulkreefsupply.com

much better, you can have Rox carbon & gfo....

mysterybox;945860 wrote: yes, but I prefer the dual BRS reactor at bulkreefsupply.com

+1...what i use and it works great. Super easy to change out media.

mysterybox;945860 wrote: yes, but I prefer the dual BRS reactor at bulkreefsupply.com

i know this might be a stupid question but what is gfo..... And if i had a dual reactor would i still have to have a doser?

JC_k;945983 wrote: i know this might be a stupid question but what is gfo..... And if i had a dual reactor would i still have to have a doser?

break it down for him Randy...lol

wait so would you even need to run carbon.... Probably another stupid question..

Here's my take... it just takes patience and a sense to know when to micro manage and when to keep your hands off.

They do require stable conditions, low nutrient levels, and most do dose Ca in some way or another.

SPS tend to be a little more light hungry than other corals IME also.

It helps me to think of the whole ordeal like this... I keep water.. the corals just live in it.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.....

JC_k;946005 wrote: wait so would you even need to run carbon.... Probably another stupid question..

It's not a stupid question. No serious question is stupid however with that said your questions would honestly take a 3 page post to summarize. All those questions contain ALOT of answers. You would be very well served with doing a lot of reading so that you can better understand how to ask a more specific question. Use a google search for those questions and do your research. Hope that helps

Back