Liverock in Florida?

genesisblue

Market
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im heading to South-eastern florida next week (West Palm Beach area) and I was curious if anyone knows of a live rock seller who allows pickups? So far Ive found one that will deliver for free near Tampa Bay. I need around 100 lbs of good rock.

Thanks!!

Adam

The only one that does their own live rock that I know of is Tampa Bay Saltwater which isn't exactly in your area.

Yep. When you make LR on the Florida keys, it will have great odds of having mantis shrimp in it. Goes with the territory.

Ok...say I take a trip to Florida and just grab up a bunch of rock, Is that illegal for me to take the rock from the ocean?

Ok...say I take a trip to Florida and just grab up a bunch of rock, Is that illegal for me to take the rock directly from the ocean?

Very. It's banned even if you have a collection permit. Companies like Tampa Bay Saltwater seed beds they lease with dry rock and then harvest that, which is legal.

That is good to know, I have always wondered if I could save some dough and grab a couple pieces out of the ocean haha.

Not even if you set it outside for a week or so and let it die off then made it live again? I really don't even now why im askin because I can't gather it so it doesn't matter.

It's not exactly live then. You might as well by some pourous base rock if you are going to do that. And if you have a decent amount of live rock already it isn't a bad way to go.

I was checking online about just using dead porous rock and I know you can use Tufa or lacy limestone, but where do I get a large amount of that kind of rock around here? Will landscaping places/home despot have it?

Thanks!
Adam

Back