Lots of questions

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
Did FW years ago but didn't really know what I was doing at the time. Got into reefing back in July and now my wife says she wants a small tank in the bedroom. So, yesterday the "Kids" got her a Fluval Chi 5 Gal. I need to get up to speed a bit before Christmas so I can get this going for her. Here are the first of what I am sure will be many questions:

1. What all do I need to test for on a regular basis. I have the API Saltwater Master and the Reef Master for my SW tank. I assume that the AM, Nitrite and Nitrate test will work for FW as well right?

2. I plan on using the pure amonia method to cycle the tank. Any drawbacks to that?

3. What would be the best substraight. I am sure she will want a couple of plants in it.

4. Stocking sugestions? If it were me, I would go with nothing but Neon Gobies but..... LOL Give me some cool ideas.

Freshwater bacteria And salt water bacteria do the same thing. The tests can be used, however there are different color comparisons for fresh water. I would call API and tell then you own the freshwater master kit, but lost the card in a recent move. You'll need a mid rAnge pH test 6.0-7.8.

Never done the ammonia method. I've always used stability by seachem or microbacter 7 by brightwells. I've always had expected results: minimal loss.

Seachem makes flourite. Carib sea makes Eco complete planted substrate and instant aquarium Tahitian moon. I've grown plants with regular gravel before, choose your poison. This is all personal preference. There are benefits to using the fluorite, but good results can be achieved in other ways.

I would probably put a bunch of neat freshwAter shrimp: red crystal, black crystal, cherry, bumblebee, red skunk..... There are plenty more.
As far as fish, something small. Im always a fan of rasboras.
Good luck

Thanks for all the info. Great stuff. I know she loves our fire shrimp in the SW so I will check out these. I didn't know there were that many FW shrimp to choose from. :).

There are more than I listed, check em out. When you are ready to add the shrimp, send me a pm, I can help you get some of the ones I listed.

Don't add too many fish to this tank, they do best with few fish....

One of the prettiest Chi's I've ever seen had a few well selected plants and golden snails, but was fishless (I know, what fun is that?)

I will definitely hit you up. I appreciate it bud. I am going to check out the API website. If I remember right, you can download the cards.

Ripped Tide;714369 wrote: There are more than I listed, check em out. When you are ready to add the shrimp, send me a pm, I can help you get some of the ones I listed.

Edit: I could see that as being cool but I know my wife. She will insist on some fish. LOL Just need to find the right mix.

Dakota9;714399 wrote: Don't add too many fish to this tank, they do best with few fish....

One of the prettiest Chi's I've ever seen had a few well selected plants and golden snails, but was fishless (I know, what fun is that?)

One more question if I may. :)

My thoughts are to use RO/DI water instead of treated tap water but would I be removing things from the water that would be beneficial to a planted FW tank?

Plants require a balance of npk(nitrogen phosphorous pottasium) co2, and light. If there is either excess or negligence of any of these, you won't get optimal growth

It was sooooo much easier 10-12 years ago when I just threw some fish and plants in the tank and hoped they lived. LOL Had a pretty good small LFS back in those days. He had a store in Centerville but sadly he closed. I have wondered may times what happened to him.

Too many nutrients = you'll burn stuff

Too little= a team can only work as well as its weakest link

So my wife's 5 gal is cycling. Currently 4ppm Am, 5ppm Nitrite and 20ppm Nitrate. Refresh my memory please. If I remember correctly, PH can vary a ton during the cycle correct? It was slowly coming down after I set the tank up but as of today it has droped substantially. It reads 6.0 using API but since that is the lowest reading it could be even lower. If I remember right, I shouldn't worry about it until my cycle finishes. As always, I appreciate your help.

The ph will stay low until the ammonia is Finished processing through. Once the tank is cycled and actively and efficiently processing ammonia, you should see your pH stabilize. Excess waste will produce excess organic acid, which will lower the ph. Once you get on a water change schedule, the acid will be removed and it will be easier to maintain a stable ph.

Edit: Organic acid and ammonia will lower the ph

While I didn't know the specifics, I thought I rememberred that from back in July. LOL Thanks boss.

If you like African cichlids, go to Home Depot and buy crushed marble in the bags and use that as your substrate. The pH is so high and the water is so hard, that it has an unbelievable buffering capacity and you'll almost never have trouble with water quality if you just NEVER change it.

From there, you can lay some driftwood in there, along with a few hardy plants (believe it or not, philodendrons will root and grow underwater if your cichlids don't eat them and they are much tougher and cheaper than your pet store aquatic plants).

Then buy some colorful cichlids like electric blues, lemon yellow labs, peacocks or something similar that pops against the white marble. Easiest and prettiest tank ever, with almost no fuss.

I appreciate the input but I don't think that will work in a 5 gal tank. LOL I do like the cichilids but don't know that I want to get into them. This is just a little tank to set in the master bedroom. If I am going to spend a lot of time on a tank it will be my reef tank. (don't tell my wife I said that). LOL

Toccoa Fish Man;726597 wrote: If you like African cichlids, go to Home Depot and buy crushed marble in the bags and use that as your substrate. The pH is so high and the water is so hard, that it has an unbelievable buffering capacity and you'll almost never have trouble with water quality if you just NEVER change it.

From there, you can lay some driftwood in there, along with a few hardy plants (believe it or not, philodendrons will root and grow underwater if your cichlids don't eat them and they are much tougher and cheaper than your pet store aquatic plants).

Then buy some colorful cichlids like electric blues, lemon yellow labs, peacocks or something similar that pops against the white marble. Easiest and prettiest tank ever, with almost no fuss.

OK. Tank has cycled. Looking at adding fish this afternoon. She has been leaning towards going with a group of Neon Tetras as a species tank. When I asked her this morning if that is what she still wanted she asked if she could have 10. In my opinion, 10 would be fine but not from the get go. My thoughts were to start with 5 and then watch how things go for a while. Any thoughts?

Edit: Oh by the way, so you don't have to go back to the front of this thread.....the tank is a 5 gal Fluval Chi.

Back