Low Nitrate

I need some advice for raising my nitrates. I have a 55 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump, reef octo 110 skimmer, and not a crazy amount of live rock I would say less than most tanks. The tank has been running for about 5 months and while corals are getting growth the color is a bit bland. I have 6 fish now, I feed 2 to 3 times a day, and I still have undetectable nitrate. What can I do to safely raise the nitrate level?
What test kit you are using to test the Nitrate ? the reason I ask is because Nitrate test varies significantly between different branches of test kit.

For example, in my tank the API Nitrate told me I have zero (0) Nitrate while the Red Sea and the Nyos test kit told me I have 65 ppm of Nitrate. Just my two cents.

FWIW, I got this one. I don't run it constantly. I put it in to take care of dinos. They are gone I'll take it out soon. This will allow me to use this in other tanks/QT as needed.
fd6362694cccc538e5d0c64c7567ac8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bzb
Looks just do 20% water changes every weekend for a month. I bet it will help a LOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What test kit you are using to test the Nitrate ? the reason I ask is because Nitrate test varies significantly between different branches of test kit.

For example, in my tank the API Nitrate told me I have zero (0) Nitrate while the Red Sea and the Nyos test kit told me I have 65 ppm of Nitrate. Just my two cents.

FWIW, I don't use API and have found them to be unreliable/inaccurate, an opinion shared by many others as well.

FWIW, I got this one. I don't run it constantly. I put it in to take care of dinos. They are gone I'll take it out soon. This will allow me to use this in other tanks/QT as needed.
fd6362694cccc538e5d0c64c7567ac8e.jpg

I was looking at that one as well it would be very easy to run. I wasn't sure if the 13 watt bulb would be strong enough to kill the dinos. It sounds like you had good luck with it though

I was looking at that one as well it would be very easy to run. I wasn't sure if the 13 watt bulb would be strong enough to kill the dinos. It sounds like you had good luck with it though
I've used it twice in my 120. Once to clear up green water. Once for dinos. If you get it, make sure you take the plastic off the bulb. You have to open the whole unit. When you close it, make sure it seals well. Once it didn't seal and water got to the bulb. Had to order new bulbs for the dinos.

Back