Making waves with Vortechs! Videos.

yeah....luckily itll be a while before i set up a large tank and form the looks of it itll be in Miami since I found out I will soon be moving.....Im excited to see what flow options are coming out but I am loving that wave action....thanks for all the help Jin.

When you say near future? Are you thinking next 6 mos or next year???

My take on vortecs- First off let me say this- I am strongly leaning towarsd goping to vortec from my tunze 6200's. However, the big thing I cant get past is directionality. My tank is front and two sides viewable. With the tunzes, I can put them on the rear half of the side glass, point them towrads the opposite corner, and avoid livestock from getting blasted. I understand the vortecs throw a wide flow cone, but they will still HAVE to be towards the front of the side pane. This I dont like. But I may be willing to look through it.

Rit - There's always going to be something new and different. I think these are one of the better pumps on the market for now and for the foreseeable future.

Jeremy - I think if you see how wide it is in person and how soft the flow is you'll see that your livestock will have fun in it :). Another option though that I've seen quite a lot of people with larger tanks do is put them on the back wall. Since there's no wires in the tank you can even hide them behind some rocks on the backwall and still have great flow. That won't give you a wave pattern, but you're not into that anyways, and it would look outstanding while providing lots of flow.

jmaneyapanda;100183 wrote: My take on vortecs- First off let me say this- I am strongly leaning towarsd goping to vortec from my tunze 6200's. However, the big thing I cant get past is directionality. My tank is front and two sides viewable. With the tunzes, I can put them on the rear half of the side glass, point them towrads the opposite corner, and avoid livestock from getting blasted. I understand the vortecs throw a wide flow cone, but they will still HAVE to be towards the front of the side pane. This I dont like. But I may be willing to look through it.

Why do you think they need to be towards the front of the tank? It's true that you can't aim them, but my Vortech is on the side glass 4" from the back of my 175 bowfront. I do get a deflection from the center overflow so most of the flow from the Vortech is concentrated on one end of my 6ft tank--but I get flow all over that end--front, back and center--running the Vortech at about 40% of full flow. The outbound flow is towards the back of the tank, but there's significant undertow coming back to the pump around the front. I'll be adding a 2nd Vortech at the other end in the near future.

reef1973;100231 wrote: I assume the pumps are software driven since they were designed to use DC current which is for ease of controllability.
If this is the case, any new flow configuration, we will get the benefit of the changes as well.

You are right. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1233198">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1233198</a>

Any new additions or revisions to their code should be able to be flashed to any of our wireless drivers. Pretty cool. also reef1973 are you not planning on making waves with these pumps? Either way I think you'll really like them.

Also, is there a way that I can lower the water level a little in my aquarium? When i get my wave really tuned in the water can get on top of my center brace. Do i need to do something to the overflow?

Geehh;100221 wrote: Why do you think they need to be towards the front of the tank? It's true that you can't aim them, but my Vortech is on the side glass 4" from the back of my 175 bowfront. I do get a deflection from the center overflow so most of the flow from the Vortech is concentrated on one end of my 6ft tank--but I get flow all over that end--front, back and center--running the Vortech at about 40% of full flow. The outbound flow is towards the back of the tank, but there's significant undertow coming back to the pump around the front. I'll be adding a 2nd Vortech at the other end in the near future.

I have livestock within 6" if the sides of the tank to about 10 inches from the fron also. If I put the vortecs towards the back, they would be 6" from the nozzle. I understand it is a "gentle" flow, but I do not think it would be gentle enought that the livestock would tolerate that. But who know, maybe worth considering again.

Yea the waves are amazing, its hard to believe the pumps can actually do that to the water. I am having to run the pumps in reef crest now though until i can figure out how to lower the water level. There was water all over the centerbrace last night when i came home. Pretty frustrating cause the waves are so cool. I'm not sure if its really simple or what but I've never had to think of lowering the water level before.

Back