Media Reactors?

kirkplunkett

Market
Reaction score
I've never used a media reactor... Up until this point in the game, I have always used a HoB power filter to run media in my tank. Now that I have a set up that includes a sump, and I'm interested in trying these "reactors" you guys speak of.

I believe I've got a general understanding of how a GFO or Carbon reactor work, but I've seen multiple threads describing a multitude of different uses.

I'm thinking of starting with a simple GFO reactor and possibly running Phosguard in it. I've also looked at the Two Little Fishie Phosban Reactor. I don't know enough the really make an informed decision at this point. (My tank is 60 Gallon DT with a 20 Gallon Sump... 73 Gallons total water volume. Currently, my only filtration is a skimmer and a filter sock.)

So, what's your favorite media reactor and why? What did you run in it? What's the worst reactor you ever used and why? And what media/resin did you try that was a complete was of time and money?

All other input welcome! Thanks in advance!

Let the discussion begin!!!

OH! And I kind of feel like I wasted my money trying to use Rowaphos in a power filter... Is there a reactor that work better with this type of resin as opposed to using media? I'd like to try it again.

I had a similar set up and I ran BRS high capacity GFO. I was pretty pleased with how that worked

I run carbon and GFO in a BRS dual reactor. I have been very happy with it. Cheap, and easy to change out media.

Brs dual reactor. I skimped and bought the single and wished I didn't. You have better control with the dual.

Spectrapure makes a dual reactor that has two valves so that you can control the flow to each individual reactor. It looks very similar to the BRS dual reactor, but you have better control of flow through each reactor.

a>

I like to run 2 singles vs. 1 dual.........but different strokes for different folks.

ghbrewer;977289 wrote: Spectrapure makes a dual reactor that has two valves so that you can control the flow to each individual reactor. It looks very similar to the BRS dual reactor, but you have better control of flow through each reactor.

http://www.aquacave.com/spectra-pure-dual-chamber-media-reactor.html">http://www.aquacave.com/spectra-pure-dual-chamber-media-reactor.html</a>[/QUOTE]

If I were going with a dual reactor, the spectrapure would be it. But instead I went with 3 single TLF. 1x550 and 2x150. In the 550 I run seachem matrix with its own pump, with seachem carbon & BRS GFO in the 150's. The two 150's are powered by my return pump through a manifold.

Ringo[emoji768 wrote: ;977304]I like to run 2 singles vs. 1 dual.........but different strokes for different folks.

Not challenging you, just curious why.
I currently run two NextReef MR1 reactors but not because that was a preference, just that i only bought one the first time!

The BRS dual reactors can be a little tricky in finding the sweet spot to get the gfo to tumble and the carbon to stay still. Not a big deal, just my preference.

tonymission;977342 wrote: Not challenging you, just curious why.

The reason I do not prefer the BRS Dual or any brand of dual type reactor, is the flow rates for the media are quite different. In the BRS Dual reactor you cannot have any greater flow rate than the GFO will allow, so you cannot run the carbon as fast as you can if you were using separate reactors.

You compromise the rate you can run water through the carbon because the GFO sets the flow rate for all of it.

I run water through my GAC at a much higher rate than I do or can for GFO in separate reactors. This may or may not mean a lot depending on your system size.

Ahh yeah I thought each reactor had it's own input or at least valves off a T or something to control flow. Yeah my GFO flow is as low as I could get it and carbon is much more in between leaning towards the opposite end.

ghbrewer;977289 wrote: Spectrapure makes a dual reactor that has two valves so that you can control the flow to each individual reactor. It looks very similar to the BRS dual reactor, but you have better control of flow through each reactor.

http://www.aquacave.com/spectra-pure-dual-chamber-media-reactor.html">http://www.aquacave.com/spectra-pure-dual-chamber-media-reactor.html</a>[/QUOTE]

I like the idea behind this reactor... Seems to address one more point of contention I've seen reading the differences between single vs. dual reactors.

Question:
Do you guys recommend the reactor where you purchase the circulation pump separate or the all-in-one set ups being market by brands like Reef Octopus and Two Little Fishies? If yes, please explain why.

If you can manage it, I would recommend reactors that are powered off/plumbed into your return pump.

Ringo®;977408 wrote: If you can manage it, I would recommend reactors that are powered off/plumbed into your return pump.

I understand plumbed into my sump... That is what I what. But please explain the term "powered off".

Back