Media Reactors?

I mean teeing off the return plumbing to run the reactors. No need for additional pumps. Kind of like what this guy did....
swannyson7-albums-craig-s-additional-pics-picture26967-img-2166.jpg
alt="" />

I have had the BRS dual, gave it away. Should of kept it for an under the sink carbon/sediment block.

I have used 2 TLF550 reactors. I like them pretty decent.

I now use a TLF550 and a Via Aqua reactor. They both do the job. But I found a different brand I like.

I bought 2 Avast MR5 "DIY" kits, they come complete you just glue them together. I installed their Seabones 2 calcium reactor last week and I love it. Simple, and dead quiet. So this influenced me to buy their reactors.

I..... :) They will be in later this week.

Bassett22;977419 wrote: What do you see as a benefit of running water faster through carbon?

More organics removal because of the higher flow rate through the media.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but what's the difference between GFO and carbon? All I know is one removes phosphates and one "clarifies" the water? Is it nessicary to run both?

JC_k;977542 wrote: Not trying to hi-jack the thread but what's the difference between GFO and carbon? All I know is one removes phosphates and one "clarifies" the water? Is it nessicary to run both?
Carbon, or GAC (granular activated carbon), removes organics. GFO, Granular Ferric Oxide, removes phosphates. They are two entirely different media and do entirely different things. It is not an "either or" type situation. If you want what carbon does, use it. If you want to remove phosphates, use GFO.

Neither media is absolutely necessary, per se, but they are easy to use and effective, which is why they are a popular choice.

100%hydrophylic;977530 wrote: I have two phosban reactor 150 that i got second hand. I use one for GFO and one for GAC. The GAC one runs at about twice the flow rate as the GFO, and i like how it is working so far. They have been only running a short time, but they seem to be working pretty well.

I would definitely suggest having a way to manage the water flows separately.

Don't worry about hijacking... This is a community thread. I'm learning TONS here. The more people we get asking questions, the better!

Wait so if I don't have phosphates then I probabably don't need to run GFO? And don't skimmers remove organics from the water...?

JC_k;977554 wrote: Wait so if I don't have phosphates then I probabably don't need to run GFO? And don't skimmers remove organics from the water...?
Yes, but there are many ways to remove organics, and most reefers use more than one method. It all depends on what corals you keep, what your goals are, and how much work you are willing to do.

For example, in my 465, for organics removal, I do water changes, use carbon, use filter socks, and protein skim. So I use 4 methods of organics control.

FF337;977623 wrote: Hey Dave, Which reactors are you using?

I have two MRC 4 x 22 reactors. I think they are called FMRs, fluidized media reactors. A bit big for smaller systems, as they are on my 465. But I use two separate single BRS Deluxe Media reactors for carbon and GFO on my 100 gallon mixed reef. The black ones.

I thought I read that somewhere. MRC makes some very nice things.

OP sorry to hijack the thread.

In regards to the Avast reactors, which one would be the right size for my 90 gallon? I don't see anything on their site (right off anyway) that tells me.

As for pump, should I somehow use my return pump or use a separate pump, and if so, should it return back into the sump?

The 5. The numbers go according to how many cups of media it holds efficiently

5 cups of media - So not to say "why, why why" haha but what then determines how many cups of media that I need?

Manifold off main pump - If I did that, how would that affect the flow back into the tank? I assume the water coming out of the reactor stays in the sump?

Sorry to be so dense ...

You can use up to 5 cups of media like gfo or carbon. You would likely get by with one of each.

If you use your manifold. The water going into the reactors has a ball valve per reactor. That controls the amount going to the tank or sump. Then the "clean" water circulates in the system and other water gets filtered or polished.

And what determines how much anyone should use is how effective the current amount is cleaning or doing its job. If phosphates are high. Use more gfo. If they are zero. Use a little less to eliminate wasting. Be careful with gfo because it will strip the water too fast causing harm to corals. Start with half dose and test water and adjust as necessary.

Bulk reef supply has a good calculator. But again start with half then test before adjusting.

Carbon I think 1 cup per 100 gallons is a good rule. I change mine every 1-2 weeks depending on my mood.

Ok good info. I will checkout that site for the calculator.

So how do I plumb it?

Back