Melanurus wrasse question

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I'm perplexed....I have or had a male and a female. For many weeks, I could only find the male. I assumed the female died for some reason. Thinking that only the male survived, I got another female. Well I go to put the new female in the tank and yep....only see one melanurus wrasse thinking it's the male. Nope!! It's the female and now the male is nowhere to be seen. It's confusing as heck. I'm hoping he'll turn up at some point.

So here's the question (I can't find anything on the internet)....do you think two females can be in the same tank (180g)? And if they can, what happens if the male shows up?

Probably. I say that because I'm not certain about that specie in particular, but in many species, males can be kept with a harem of females.

How long have you had them? Some wrasses freak out when they are introduced to a tank, and hide under the sand for days. Or they may only come out at night and seemingly 'vanish' for a week or more.

Jenn

Two females will become a male and a female shortly. As far as a trio, I'm not sure how melanurus's will behave but I would pull one.

JennM;968440 wrote: Probably. I say that because I'm not certain about that specie in particular, but in many species, males can be kept with a harem of females.

How long have you had them? Some wrasses freak out when they are introduced to a tank, and hide under the sand for days. Or they may only come out at night and seemingly 'vanish' for a week or more.

Jenn

Jenn....the original pair I've had for about 10 months to a year. The female "vanished" when I first introduced the pair to the tank then a few weeks later, she showed up and they both swam together for a few weeks then she disappeared again. Now it would seem she's back...LOL

I'm no expert by any means but I just purchased a leapord wrasse so have been reading up like crazy. I think from what I've read that a male with 2 females will be good to go.

ouch! you should all investigate the needs of the inhabitants BEFORE you purchase them!

DUUH!

Ralph do I need to tell these guys what you have been up to heheh. I did read before I bought and then consulted with some very knowledgeable people wink wink .

You can always have questions though

mysterybox;968584 wrote: ouch! you should all investigate the needs of the inhabitants BEFORE you purchase them!

DUUH!

Ralph...I'm going to assume that comment wasn't aimed at me. If it was, you need to have all the facts before you make such an asinine comment. If your comments can't contribute to the thread, I'd prefer you didn't make any comment (at least in my case...I could care less what you do on others....and no, I don't have a sense of humor this morning).

porpoiseaquatics;968657 wrote: Ralph...I'm going to assume that comment wasn't aimed at me. If it was, you need to have all the facts before you make such an asinine comment. If your comments can't contribute to the thread, I'd prefer you didn't make any comment (at least in my case...I could care less what you do on others....and no, I don't have a sense of humor this morning).

You are cranky, but no, it wasn't even aimed at you! :)

Let's leave it at that!!

I have grown to not stress over not seeing my wrasse over a period of time. They come and go as they please. I have a mel and a red line in same tank. They work opposite shifts. Thought the red was a loss because i havent seen him for a couple of weeks. I got up early one morning and turned on the lights and there he was. He only comes out at night. I think it is to keep the peace between him and the Mel.

Back