melenarus wrasse and maxima clams

russ-iv

Market
Reaction score
so my melenarus wrasse decided it was a good idea to "taste test" my maxima clam and took a chunk of his mantle in the process.
the wrasse generally tastes everything i put in the tank (including zoas, sps, everything) so im wondering if this was a poor choice of an invert, or that he may take a liking to some shiny clam.

snails he flips, i can handle. maximus clams... not so much.

thoughts?

Atlanta Aquarium;1041798 wrote: I have 2 Melanurus Wrasses in the tank that I housed the clams. The male is rather large. Never have issue with them picking on the clam.

rit you have so much livestock i doubt the wrasse would bother. also he is fairly large.
this is the same one who took a chunk out of that goni and spit it out.

25hpgzt.jpg
alt="" />

towards the end of the lighting cycle he closes a bit so you cant see the chunk the wrasse took in full detail. also his mantle is pretty retracted after the ordeal.

this wrasse has uprooted yellow polyps and zoas off the rock.

im glad im not getting the "never place a wrasse with a clam" feedback though

barry_keith;1041801 wrote: Its not unheard of. I've known a few people who lost clams to melanurus.

wrasse doesnt seem interested in making the guy a feast. he mostly ignores it. however, you can tell the thought crosses his mind when he stares at the clam for a second and moves on.

I have a feeling it was probably going after something that was on the clam.

Back