Membership benefits?

Actually, with one exception, attendance at the meeting is free to all. The frag swap usually has a few for non-member to help offset the cost of renting places like the Gwinnett Center (or other locals large enough to hold such an event). On occasion, food is served and sometimes non-members will be asked to pay a small fee if they want dinner. But this Saturday's meeting has an out of town speaker, BBQ dinner and many prizes. No admission is being charged for anyone. We will ask Non-members to let members go first for dinner just in case food runs short (which I don't think will happen). Prizes provided by ARC will be limited to meme era only but those provided by our guest speaker are open to all in attendance.

So you can see that while the club gives some percs to paid members, we try hard to make non-members feel welcome.

As for the 10% discount, I would suggest you read the By-Laws which spells out what a sponsor can exclude. If you find that they excluded other items please let me know via PM what the items were and who the sponsor was. Which leads me to my final question. Are you sure the stores you spoke to were sponsors or did you just pick stores near you without checking if they were a sponsor?

I've been a member for several years and even the very first year I saved hundreds of dollars . I have shopped at almost all of the sponsors and I have never not 1 time not received 10% off . Most of our sponsors would give a good customer 10% just to give customer service.of course if they have items marked down they may have a isolated item but I am sure this is few and far between . Also they give a lot of advice and help if you ever get in a bind ( tank emergency and need professional help )
I have purchased salt , lights, tanks, skimmers, heaters, reactors , fish , fish food, carbon, Gfo,testing kits ( which when we went to tour Seachem plant the mfg gave many people 50$+ worth of testing kits etc . This is a club and a really good group of people who help each other out and enjoy this hobby the 30$ fee is really just a minimal fee compared to the information you can learn here and the friends you can make . You probly can find a lot of things cheaper online but when you have a business store front you have cost and that's were the additional pricing comes in but the store front can help with knowledge in keeping a reef tank going for years and who know even make a few friends who are Sponors / business owners
Good luck and welcome

EcoReefGuy;1006042 wrote: If this has felt like drama I do apologize. So I will leave this as my final thought.
The 10% was the reason I was interested in joining ( selfish I know) . But even if I had been a member none of the stores I went to it called would even honor the 10% on any items I asked about... Well one did but item was marked at 199.99 instead of 99.99. Even with livestock, I asked if I ordered something would a discount be applied if I were a member. Some said yes, but when they quoted the livestock was extremely high in price compare to places that would not discount on items being ordered. So the 10% is really hit or miss it seems. This hold true for many items live or dry. I'm not sure what meeting you are referring to about, but I'm guessing there a fee to enter for non member which is perfectly understandable there is. This is the first time I have heard of a large annual meeting. My purchaed so far from members have been very nice, I have had no complaints on them or their professionalism in shipping. Paying for something and not attending might not be for me though. I will try my best to make at least one meeting to try to talk to members , it's much more personal that way and the reasoning may sound much better vs text on a screen. I think rdnesldom said donations are made which ties in with the fact that this is non profit. As a member are you allow to see where funds are allocated? If so I would definitely sign up if a large portion is towards conservation. Would I be less of a trouble maker if I asked these questions as a member? Or does it feel like that because I'm asking very selfishly? Again im sorry if I'm coming off as drama, I'm honestly trying to validate things. For those that will meet me at later time, I will admit that my personality can be odd, regardless if it's 30
Or 300, I will sometimes over analyze

There's actually a list of "best Atlanta stores " somewhere I found on google. It contain mainly sponsors. I think the title was Atlanta is very lucky. And yes I did check their sponsorship status.

Shane you going to make it on Sat??? Been too long since we had a chance to chat. You too Jaycen.

rdnelson99;1006067 wrote: Shane you going to make it on Sat??? Been too long since we had a chance to chat. You too Jaycen.

Thanks Rich I am going to try and make the meeting Wheww kinda glad to get back to a regular schedule ( after the holiday hussle and bussle)

containerman1;1006068 wrote: Thanks Rich I am going to try and make the meeting Wheww kinda glad to get back to a regular schedule ( after the holiday hussle and bussle)

Good deal. Hopeful I can break away for a minute and say hi.

tonymission;1006056 wrote: Forever. Lol..... Sorry

You can download and print your digital one instantly.

I see it hasn't been 24 hours and I find this post. I'm callin' the "Who you going call!" hotline :lol2:.

Wannabee

As Tony has stated. It's available when the website is updated with your annual membership payment. Log into your account, click User CP, ARC Subscription. Your virtual membership card is just under ARC Virtual Member Card. You can print from there or save it to a thumb drive and print later.

Wannabee

EcoReefGuy;1006042 wrote: If this has felt like drama I do apologize. So I will leave this as my final thought.
The 10% was the reason I was interested in joining ( selfish I know) . But even if I had been a member none of the stores I went to it called would even honor the 10% on any items I asked about... Well one did but item was marked at 199.99 instead of 99.99. Even with livestock, I asked if I ordered something would a discount be applied if I were a member. Some said yes, but when they quoted the livestock was extremely high in price compare to places that would not discount on items being ordered. So the 10% is really hit or miss it seems. This hold true for many items live or dry. I'm not sure what meeting you are referring to about, but I'm guessing there a fee to enter for non member which is perfectly understandable there is. This is the first time I have heard of a large annual meeting. My purchaed so far from members have been very nice, I have had no complaints on them or their professionalism in shipping. Paying for something and not attending might not be for me though. I will try my best to make at least one meeting to try to talk to members , it's much more personal that way and the reasoning may sound much better vs text on a screen. I think rdnesldom said donations are made which ties in with the fact that this is non profit. As a member are you allow to see where funds are allocated? If so I would definitely sign up if a large portion is towards conservation. Would I be less of a trouble maker if I asked these questions as a member? Or does it feel like that because I'm asking very selfishly? Again im sorry if I'm coming off as drama, I'm honestly trying to validate things. For those that will meet me at later time, I will admit that my personality can be odd, regardless if it's 30
I would say if you are in the area this Saturday around 4:00 PM, stop by and check out the ARC meeting. The only cost to you would be a couple hours of your time and transportation to and from if your not already in the area for other reasons.

If you don't like what's happening, you can always leave whenever you want to. No real commitment other than the minutes you are there at the meeting. At the end of the day, you can decide whether you want to join or not. A very nice price will be raffled off for members. If you decide to get a membership before all the raffle tickets are given, you get a raffle ticket, and you win. I can tell you won't be able to find that dosing pump anywhere else for $30.00.

It's very nice to place log on names with real faces and just chit chat over something that we all love and that is ReefKeeping. If you decide to go to the meeting, tell them Wannabee invited you to come.

Wannabee

P.S. Here's the link to the meeting if you have not seen it.
showthread.php

I would like to clarify something just so people don't come away with the wrong idea after reading this thread. I won't include specifics but after reviewing the list of items you provided via PM, I believe all of them are covered by minimum prices set by the Manufacturer's. Where most members see the payback from the discount is not on purchase of high end proprietary equipment but on day to day consumables and livestock purchase. If that's not what you are looking for I understand you may be dissatisfied.

I sincerely hope the OP doesn't join given the small sample size of his posts in this thread. Seems he's about Me, Me, Me. What will you do for me. We are a community and Club. A club of attraction rather than promotion. Keep your $30. Please.

I will chime in here as I've been around a while. I went to my first meeting in 2003 or 2004 at a marine fish store on Johnson Ferry Road. Maybe 12 people showed. I was a paying member back then and have been on and off since. My best advice to give you is to join and see how it works for you. If you find that you can't make meetings, or don't get the discounts your looking for and feel it didn't work for you then you figure that out for yourself. Being able to sell items on the forum is nice. A small discount now and then or a group buy discount is nice. I mainly see it as supporting a local community of reef keepers and a forum that offers a wealth of info and local classifieds for us reef junkies. I've never regretted paying the dues. I've never been to a party or anything like that and have joined for selfish reasons as well but not so much a tangible one if that makes sense...

Good luck

This will seem trivial, but I listed ARC on my resume. It sits right there with my teaching experience, military experience, memberships in other groups like the 101st Abn Div Association, Theodore Roosevelt Association etc etc. The last time I interviewed for a job I sat at a big table with a lot of people and one was a reefer that appreciated my "eclectic" background.

I live ten minutes from Chattanooga and rarely make it to Atlanta. I've recouped my membership dues in advice and help that has been unwavering. $30 for the help that has saved my inexperienced butt is invaluable in this hobby.

I tried R2R and other forums before I stumbled into the ARC. If I posted a question or a problem it was like pulling a pin on a grenade. This club has a limit on drama and some of these folks will reply real quick to offer advice.

Seth The Wine Guy;1006089 wrote: I sincerely hope the OP doesn't join given the small sample size of his posts in this thread. Seems he's about Me, Me, Me. What will you do for me. We are a community and Club. A club of attraction rather than promotion. Keep your $30. Please.
To the Op .The above is not what you can expect from the general membership. Most here are very cordial and polite as you will see when you make a meeting. As was mentioned earlier a lot of the proceeds got to fund research and advancement of the hobby I think you actually expressed appreciation for that.
I personally never used the ARC discount and don't care to. I think the LFS struggle enough to beat out a living as is and I had rather them stay around, to me that is sponsorship plenty. Build a relationship with them and they will usually take of you anyway when they can.
Hope to meet you soon.

grouper therapy;1006098 wrote: To the Op .The above is not what you can expect from the general membership. Most here are very cordial and polite as you will see when you make a meeting. As was mentioned earlier a lot of the proceeds got to fund research and advancement of the hobby I think you actually expressed appreciation for that.
I personally never used the ARC discount and don't care to. I think the LFS struggle enough to beat out a living as is and I had rather them stay around, to me that is sponsorship plenty. Build a relationship with them and they will usually take of you anyway when they can.
Hope to meet you soon.

+1

This Saturday is going to be a great meeting, hope you can come join us!

Seth The Wine Guy;1006089 wrote: I sincerely hope the OP doesn't join given the small sample size of his posts in this thread. Seems he's about Me, Me, Me. What will you do for me. We are a community and Club. A club of attraction rather than promotion. Keep your $30. Please.

Interesting mannerism and approach to the topic? Im not sure how large of a sample size you were expecting from me tho. I did start the thread with the disclaimer. I did not hide the fact that I needed advice on what members got out of it personally. Whether it was a sound investment financially or personally. In which both were later discuss when helping out the club as a whole was taken out of the equation. 30 may not be a amount that is significant to you, but it's still money I have worked to earn. eventually pushing potential members away can be hurtful to your community.

Yes, the small amount of purchases I have made has been very nice. Even conversation with members have been kind, with some exceptions of course. The sales thread is very useful. I have only made purchases though, I don't believe I will be needing to sell my equipment that I just bought. but it's something I'm sure is worth the membership if I break down and would like to unload. Let's hope I don't have to make an exit from the hobby anytime soon.

Thank you for the invitation but unfortunately, as work forbids anything fun lately, making an apparence is next to impossible at this time for me due to my hectic travel itinerary. I'm sure eventually the stars will align and I'll make it out to a meeting and greet the clubs members.

grouper therapy;1006098 wrote: To the Op .The above is not what you can expect from the general membership. Most here are very cordial and polite as you will see when you make a meeting. As was mentioned earlier a lot of the proceeds got to fund research and advancement of the hobby I think you actually expressed appreciation for that.
Hope to meet you soon.

I'm praying you meant to say " take CARE of you anyway that they can ".

Need to shop around. I used to believe that local prices were always highly inflated over online prices. Turns out it's not always the case. As an example, on BF I went out looking to pick up a couple of fish. Both of the stores I went to are, IMO, the top 2 in Atlanta. This isn't meant to disparage any other stores and I haven't been to every single one. One store was $5 more than the same fish on line through LA but it was an inexpensive fish. $25 and then a 15% discount I think. The next store was a fairy wrasse. $70 at the store. Same 15% BF discount. Got home and looked up on LA, same $70 price.

I'm to the point that I don't even always ask for my ARC discount. I appreciate the sponsors that I frequent enough that unless my wife is with me or the discount would save me decent $, say $10 or more, it's not really worth it to me. That being said, I generally make my membership $ back in just 1 or 2 group buys. Or when someone like Jeff orders a bulk order of filter socks and sells the extra for cheap.

Sure, some dry goods are less on amazon but when I look at things like even flake and pellet food the price difference is a few $. Other things, like an MP40, I could have gotten from BRS and not paid sales tax. I like having a local place that I can buy something like an MP40 in an emergency though.

The main reason I joined originally was the help and assistance I received on the site and when I found out that the ARC typically donates a sizable sum to a worthy cause every year or two. This past year's donation was awesome and the donation to the Coral Restoration Foundation was extremely worthy too.

If you really want to get down to selfish reason? I honestly think more people take you seriously as a member. Not saying that that's a fact or that it's right or wrong. Just my opinion.

And, FWIW, when I first started I got multiple corals from members for free because I was starting out. I still have two of them in my tank even!

Ramble over lol!

awestbr11;1006112 wrote: Hiiii everyone!

I joined mainly for the awesome clownfish avatar (just kidding)! I'm actually excited to the point of irrationality at having joined. I am new to reefing, but have always wanted to start. I'm hoping that I may be able to get my first fish in by the summer after I've cycled and tested it with my inverts.

I do have a question about my membership card. I have some purchases coming up and haven't gotten my card yet. When I try to grab it off the "ARC Virtual Member Card" I get an error that says:

TCPDF ERROR: [Image] Unable to get the size of the image: /var/www/vhosts/atlantareefclub.org/httpdocs/forums/images/customavatars/avatar8784_0.gif

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Getting it quickly for the perks isn't really a big deal to me but I can't wait to stick it in my wallet. This is the first organization I have ever joined and I am excited to get my paws on the card.

Thanks for the help!

We're looking into it. FWIW, many sponsors, and every one I've been to actually, would let me prove it by logging into the ARC forum and seeing the member badge as a last resort.

Back