Merging tanks, how to kill flatworms?

harpua2002

Market
Reaction score
Hey all, great news... Hooked Newbie and I are getting married and will be moving in together in the next couple months. I plan on breaking down my Biocube 8 and moving some of the corals into HN's 20H.

My problem is, there are flatworms in the Biocube... the nasty little orange ones. :confused2: Is there a product I can use to dip my corals that would kill the flatworms, as to avoid introducing them into the 20? I hear that Flatworm Exit works, and I understand that the flatworms release toxins as they die, so treating a small tank can be problematic. Can I use this product to dip corals rather than treating my tank? Is there something else that is better to use? Any advice or related experiences would be really helpful. Thanks! :)

I just transferred everything out of my nano last month to my 55. All I did was a freshwater dip. The worms will fall off instantly. I haven't seen a one since and all corals are doing well. I don't have any sps though so you may want a second opinion on that end.

I also don't have any sps, I'm just using the Biocube stock lighting. Thanks for the reply and the congrats. :D

I just moved my 55 that was infested with flatworms to a 110 and wanted to make sure I killed all of the little bast$@*s. I filled a 5 gal bucket with tank water and a ton of Coral Rx. I let the rocks sit in that mixture for 15mins or so then washed them off in another bucket of freshwater. Seems to have worked so far. Coral Rx has killed every parasite I've encountered.

dmahoney82;268343 wrote: I just moved my 55 that was infested with flatworms to a 110 and wanted to make sure I killed all of the little bast$@*s. I filled a 5 gal bucket with tank water and a ton of Coral Rx. I let the rocks sit in that mixture for 15mins or so then washed them off in another bucket of freshwater. Seems to have worked so far. Coral Rx has killed every parasite I've encountered.

Did you find this locally? If so, can you tell us what store carries it? Thanks for the reply.

Barbara;268356 wrote: Softies (mushrooms, zoas, some leathers) can handle a FW dip, and an FW dip will certainly melt the flatworms almost instantly. You can also use a dip made of SW and flatworm exit. I applaud your choice to dip, rather than treat the tank. BTW, I always have the red flatworms, and they really aren't that bad. A yellow coris wrasse loves 'em, and some other wrasses will munch, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing one or two in the dipping process. I used to treat my tanks with Flatworm Exit, but I have found that regular water changes, good water circulation (powerheads), and a natural predator are more than enough to keep the population down without putting chemicals in the tank.

Good luck to you! Don't forget to teach him the valuable "marriage lesson" - <u>His</u> corals are your corals, and <u>your</u> corals are your corals!

Thanks again. I've been struggling with the flatworms for quite some time now, and I even borrowed a sixline wrasse that was known to eat them (was a trade-in at the shop I was working at in Louisville)... unfortunately all the wrasse did was kill my huge fire shrimp and my sexys!!!:doh: I do love the yellow coris wrasse, but I don't think we would have room for one in the 20 gallon. We have a good bit of circulation in both tanks, esp. the 20... Aquaclear 70 (full of lr rubble), Koralia 1, and Maxi Jet 600. Maintenance is very regular in the 20 as well. I'd still like to dip before the move... man I just HATE how nasty the little buggers look! LOL.

Oops, forgot to add... I have a large frogspawn that we would like to add to the 20. Would this coral survive a dip? All others are softies so I'm not worried about them.

Barbara;268411 wrote: My pleasure. Let us know how it goes. It's fun to watch those nasty flatworms melt away in the fresh water. Kinda makes you smile.......

The same kind of warm fuzzy feeling I get about Juicing aiptasias!!!! Looking forward to it, lol.

harpua2002;268349 wrote: Did you find this locally? If so, can you tell us what store carries it? Thanks for the reply.

Give Sal at SWC a call. That is where I got mine, but he might have to order it so def call first.

Back