Metal Halide and timer

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone found a timer for a MH that doesn't blow or go out? I would like to put mine on a timer and i believe its a 150watt. It gets annoying having to turn it on manually... So any recommendations would help. I would buy a controller but don't have the money.

Jacob

Prior to getting a controller, I used a couple of different timers for my MH with varying degrees of success. Like you, I never found a solution that worked long term. The one that lasted the longest was this... I think it worked for about 9 months.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Power_Center_%28Day_Night_Timer_Or_Wave_Maker_Timer%29_Timers_for_Aquarium_Lighting-Coralife-ES01690-FILTACTM-vi.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Power_Center_%28Day_Night_Timer_Or_Wave_Maker_Timer%29_Timers_for_Aquarium_Lighting-Coralife-ES01690-FILTACTM-vi.html</a>

The easiest way to manage lighting is with a controller. Since I picked up my reef keeper, everything has been perfect. I use it to manage: MH, T-5, Moon Lights, heaters/ temp, pumps, and the calcium reactor :thumbs:

I have 3 175 watt metal halides on the same timer. It's a simple time that cost like 9 bucks at homedepot. I have had it for 7 or 8 years and it's ran everything metal halide lamps to 500 watt work lights, huge shop exhaust fans. Never had an issue with it. But I've had the cheap 5 dollar timers and they blow fairly quick

Of course a controller is ideal.
I use a low tech dial timer. Simple and works flawlessly. I had a digital one that failed in the on position while I was on vacation. Came home to a bleached tank. I don't know how long they where on but it could have been as king as 10 days. Thankfully everything recovered. So yeah, controller.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy yourself a heavy duty appliance timer. Make sure it can fit a 3 prong plug, and you should be good to go. They cost about $10-$15 each. Ones with Digital displays are a bit more expensive.

If you want to have your mom or dad driver you by the house, I can give you one. I have a lot of them.

Acroholic;945786 wrote: Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy yourself a heavy duty appliance timer. Make sure it can fit a 3 prong plug, and you should be good to go. They cost about $10-$15 each. Ones with Digital displays are a bit more expensive.

If you want to have your mom or dad driver you by the house, I can give you one. I have a lot of them.

Pm'ed

Back