More then I can take

I finally saw my first bristle worm I'm my tank the other day. It maybe about an inch or so. I've only seen it once. It was hanging out with my yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp inside of their den. They were having a party.

I had tons of them when I first started my tank. They ate uneaten food, chunks of poop, everything. Left my corals alone. They were probably the best CUC I had. They disappeared after adding a diamond goby. I dont think he ate them but it was suggested that it may be possible that the goby ate their main food source.

Bristle worms are the best and ugliest members of our CUC. Decided a long time ago that they were a necessary evil as we have occasional overfeeding and lots of fish poop and everything works together to keep our nitrate and phosphate at proper levels :). also why we have gloves for the tank, so no one gets stung.

Yes I understand the sentiment and I don’t like them personally as well. There’s not a person who can convince me that these worms are must haves a tank.

But all in all, just know that this fish will be the last fish that you can introduce....as it has a tendency to go after any new fishes.

Arrow crabs are also an viable alternative. I find them interesting.

If you reduce your nutrients, the worms will decrease naturally. Feed less=less worms
This this and more this. Take away the food source and starve them. I used to have many as well. Not so much since I started feeding mainly frozen.

This this and more this. Take away the food source and starve them. I used to have many as well. Not so much since I started feeding mainly frozen.
If going this route, I would do it in combination with trapping. That will reduce their numbers without death impacting the nutrient levels.

dont sweat bristle worms.
THE ONLY issue I've had with them is that if you pick up a rock and squeeze one.. their spines will get in your skin. A simple vinegar soak of the area will dissolve them.. no real foul.
I've heard stories (legends) of GIANT ones becoming issues, but the small ones we have in our reefs arent gonna pose such issues.

dont sweat bristle worms.
THE ONLY issue I've had with them is that if you pick up a rock and squeeze one.. their spines will get in your skin. A simple vinegar soak of the area will dissolve them.. no real foul.
I've heard stories (legends) of GIANT ones becoming issues, but the small ones we have in our reefs arent gonna pose such issues.
Thanks for the insight brother

Back